Spyware??

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by sooflymami, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

Do you think I might have a spyware if this thing popped up saying I been infected by a malware and its telling me to download their program and says to click yes or cancel or is that an advertisement?

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That depends, did this pop-up occur while browsing or does it come up on the computer itself? Also, ad-ware and spyware can be different, some ad-ware is just annoying and causes no real harm, and some do. What is the name of the program it is wanting you to download? That should help a lot more in figuring out if you have a real problem or if it's just some annoying ad-ware that piggybacked another program and can be removed easily.

Edit: By the way, have you ran your anti-virus and anti-spyware programs yet to see what if anything they caught? That should be your first step.

3. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

That thing popped up when I was on the internet and yes, I've ran my antivirus program but it didn't detect anything..but after that thing popped up, after the avast tells me antivirus database has been updated, it freezes when I was online and it didnt take me anywhere after that. I even closed the internet browser and then opened it again but it was just saying waiting..but its not doing that now but Do you think maybe that might be causing it?

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

For what you say, yes, you are probably infected.
    Try running SAS, MBAM and CureIt.

If it doesn't go away, seek help in one of the forums listed here.

Good Luck!

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You are certainly infected. Run the suggested scanners and they probably will find it, otherwise you have to contact a Malware Forum. If you had a frozen system, you wouldn't have such an infection, now you can waste your time on it and it won't be the last infection, this will happen again and again. This is what I call a vicious circle.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Do a boot scan first with avast before windows starts, avast may get it before it has a chance to run.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Erik, I'm honestly not arguing, but "frozen" systems as provided by your software and other virtual apps such as Returnil aren't for everyone. Some may just simply have problems with them due to system configurations and other software conflicting, others, well, they may have situations in the home that make it difficult to use such software. They obviously work great for you and I myself love Returnil, but again, they aren't for everybody.

Many if not most problems can be avoided using a different browser and a "simpler" virtualization app such as Sandboxie, which can be set up to delete everything including malware at the close of the browser. Is it perfect? Nope. But not even "frozen" solutions are, but it is a start and a very good one.

Also, we have no idea how he got this malware, if indeed it is malware. So, telling him/her that they are just going to keep getting re-infected isn't going to do much good until we know exactly what happened, you're just going to scare the person. Sooflymami, do take their advice and run your AV and at least 2 of the mentioned antispyware apps, and let's see what they find. In the meantime, is there a program you recently installed or a particular website where this problem first showed up?

8. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

It is highly probable that you are subject to a SCAM.

This type of practice is fairly common on some sites, you are browsing away and suddenly this pop up appears.

These pop ups should be ignored.

Even if you are completely clean,you will be enticed to download that particular program, because you are worried.

After a scan by the trial version ,it will announce you are infected by some malware-but of course you cant remove the infection unless you buy.
    Usually the results are deliberately false.

If you do download or buy thats when you could really become infected by spyware etc,in some cases.

As you want to be absolutely sure, do a scan with your own antivirus or whatever-then do another scan with an outside free scanner ,such as Trend HERE
    You can also download the free Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool HERE
    Then do a spyware scan in any case.

Hopefully you will find you are clean.

edit-Neither click "yes" nor "cancel"-just ignore completely!
    If in fact you did click something-it may just be possible that you are infected.

What was the name of the program?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm not going to argue either. I've been in the same situation as the OP, 2 years back and before that, so I know how much time it takes to remove such an infection and I've spent 1 year at a malware forum to see the real world.
    If users like it this way and like to do this over and over again, it's OK with me, then they don't need any advice to break through this vicious circle. I don't only remove malware, I do alot more than that. :)

10. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Probably it was saying"Waiting" as the Avast site was busy,thats all-not at all unusual and not connected with the pop up.

Above all,do not panic and everything should be OK-do the scan I suggested.

Let us have the programs name and its authenticity can be easily checked.

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

That sounds very similar to the same pop up ads that I got back in 2006. If it is showing a program name like Winfixer, then you have the Vundo/Virtumonde trojan. There are many variants of this trojan program and not every disinfection procedure will work on every PC. Run Hijackthis on your system and post the log on a spyware help website (such as spywareinfo or castlecops) to have someone take a closer look at your registry information. Most likely your Windows32 folder has the trojan program there as well as the registry. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.