Spyware/Virus - SmitFraud/Klez Help Needed

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by MelarianRi, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MelarianRi

MelarianRi Registered Member

Ok! So my sister has another virus that yet again, I can not figure out/help her with! Let's jot down the basics of how it's going! Now I'm not sure how it started, where it came from or what the beginning signs were, all I know is what I saw today which is thus;

Black Warning Screen: The background is forced and can be changed after start up but upon a restart will be changed back. It is a full black background with large/medium sized red words; "Warning Spyware has been Detected" and then in white text it says something to the effect of someone being connected to the computer, spyware installed and leaves an IP address. I'm not sure if it was hers or not, I wasn't able to check.

Warning Message: Windows warning messages (yellow yeild sign with (!) exclamation mark) comes up in the bottom right of the screen. Saying "You have a virus!" - "Threat Detected" etc. and one of them gives you a link to what I believe (but did not test) was a false spyware removal purchasing page.

Strange Taskbar Icon: An Icon that I've never seen, was in the task bar. It looked like a computer mouse, very 8-bit and white. She couldn't verify it and neither could I.

Mouse Pad(laptop): Ceased function. It wont allow movement. Right/Left click does nothing as well (I believe it may be associated with the above noted problem, perhaps). Alt+Tab, Windows Key and Tab are the only ways to move about the interface.

ESC Key: Will only work on closing some windows. AIM and some windows from My Computer and the Control Panel are examples of things it will not close.

Task Messenger: Ceased function. It will appear in the bottom task bar and prompt something about the administrative properties. However, it will not come up and it can not be exited.

Number Lock: I attempted to change the settings so that I could use the number pad instead of the mouse, however once pressing the Number Lock button, computer makes a loud beeping sound and crashes instantly. It did not do that until after I changed it. (Hold Shift, Tabbed to Mouse, Clicked M).

She text me a moment ago and said: Task Manager Virus, Registry Virus, 3 Regular Adware. She got rid of the black wallpaper by editing the registry manually. And that is where we are at.

I know she downloaded SmitFraud Fix, and AVG of AGV (something like that) because a site said to. (legit site). She also ran a scan and something about Klez Virus, came up. Any information would be helpful! :D

Please note that all this information may not be 100% accurate as I'm relying on my crappy memory of hours ago. Everything generally is correct though. Thank you.

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.