Spyware test page/site?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by seakiwi, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seakiwi

seakiwi Registered Member

Having just installed SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard, I'm just wondering if there is anywhere I can go test them out? I know they both 'do their thing' in the background so to speak, but I'm one of these weirdos who likes to "see" that they're actually working ;)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

to check spywareguard just change your home page

3. seakiwi

mmm .... I tried that, and I never got any alerts or anything. I'm using Firefox though, so I guess that's why that one doesn't work?

Any spyware infested sites you know of that I could test it on?

4. bigc73542

I have used spywareguard for quite a while now and it has only alerted twice that I can remember, but I am glad that it did. And spywareblaster you have to pretty much take on faith that it is working. But as long as you have the protection set on S/G and S/B you can rest assured that they do work and work well.

bigc

5. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I don't think it is really appropriate that we post links to these types of sites.....

6. bigc73542

you are absolutly correct that it isn't appropriate to post links to those kinds of sites. It is also against the tos. ;)

bigc

7. seakiwi

Actually, there was supposed to be a winking smilie after the

"any spyware infested sites I can test it on?" in my last post - my oops :)

What I really meant, in my original post was a test site .. or a test file .. something like the eicar test files for AV testing. I just thought maybe someone knew of such a site or file - not that I have any idea whether such a thing is even possible to create.

"It's working even if you cant see it working" is all very well, but would be reassuring to be able to see that for myself somehow. At least I can test my AV program with the eicar test files, and know it is working as it should be.

Thanks for your help :)

8. bigc73542

It is not a problem ;) , I kind of figured it was just a figure of speech. And Welcome to wilders.

bigc

9. seakiwi

Ok, just for grins I tried changing my homepage in IE and I got the alert as you said I would.

Question ... On closer inspection of the program info, I'm wondering whether there is really any point in running either of these programs, if I am using Firefox as my default browser. I see SpywareBlaster has Mozilla/Firefox option, but that appears to only apply to tracking cookies. I'm not particularly concerned about cookies, as I can control them well enough within Firefox. Am I correct in assuming that the other functions of SpywareBlaster, AND SpywareGuard are pretty much obsolete for Firefox? (the realtime protection in SpywareGuard probably still works, but I'm guessing nothing else will)

This probably should have been my very first question ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.