Spyware Terminator ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Fly, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I've come across the name on this forum frequently, and I checked the website in question.

I noticed that for real-time protection it uses 'shields'.
    The Spy Sweeper also uses 'shields'. Are they (somewhat) similar ? How effective ?

The Spy Sweeper has fallen out of favor, would anyone recommend Spyware Terminator as a replacement ? (Does it have similar functionality ??)

It is also free, which makes me suspicious.

Webroot's technical support is bad, for me they have crossed the line regarding data collection, a reason why I won't update (except signatures) to 'beyond' version 5.5.7.

2. gery

gery Registered Member

there is a discussion thread here where you can learn more about ST. JUST check

3. progress

progress Guest

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The term "shields" is what they call the different types of real-time protection in Spyware Terminator (ST). For a free product I think it is quite good and would use it in conjunction with antivirus and a Behavior Blocker like Threatfire. I would opt out of the toolbar during the installation. I would also not recommend ClamWin AV which can be integrated into the ST GUI - use AVG, Avast! or Avira instead.

5. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thanks to both of you (previous two posters).

I did read that thread, and I noticed that I had even posted in it !

'Once a rogue, always a rogue'.

That is certainly a reason to be cautious.

6. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

Again ST is not rogue. Crawler has had some issues in the past but it doesn't really have anything to do with ST.

7. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ST might not be a rogue currently, but i still am rather scared to use it, once you get a bad rep, it doesn't go away easy.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Did you read the information on Spywarewarrior.com regarding the reason they put Spyware Terminator "on probation" and then removed it from the list after three months? ST was never classified as "rogue" software.

I used Spyware Terminator for a couple of years and it was never a problem. I prefer "for pay" products now because I think they're better, but ST is a good freeware product. PCMag.com did a review of it a while back and although they didn't give it great scores they did not find anything to make them think it was a rogue software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.