spyware terminator

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bamaman66, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bamaman66

bamaman66 Registered Member

Thought I would try spyware terminator but I am getting tired of clicking on ALLOW or DENY. Every dll or tmp file comes up wanting permission. There is no way that one can know whether or not to allow permission. Is there some way to set the program that would only ask for the complete program permission instead of each dll in the program?

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Some ideas, since I don't know your installation or protection settings...might help:
    -Under "realtime protection" and the various tabs under "system guard" and "internet guard" set the slider to block threats and unknown access.
    -Has the HIPS database finished building? This can take a while, depending on the occupancy of your hard drive/s. Once it has learned what to trust (or not) the incidence of these alerts will decrease.
    -Any time you are installing trusted software, check that the HIPS "install mode" is selected. This will automatically allow it to run.
    -With .TMP files (such as are created when installing/updating some software) there is no point in ticking "remember this decision".

3. bamaman66

How can I tell if HIPS database has finished building?

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Right click on the system tray icon, and on the box that pops up will be a selection, the second or third down says HIPS and (enabled) or (building database)

5. bamaman66

Does this data base continually build ? If it finishes building how do you know so that you can leave it disabled?

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

It will only start to build when the "HIPS" box (in "Realtime protection>advanced" has been ticked. If that tick is there, you will know when it has finished building by right clicking the systray icon, and it will say "HIPS (with a tick to the left) (Enabled)"
    Are you seeing any of this? Have you instructed the HIPS to be on?

7. bamaman66

The tick is there as you pointed out. I am having to enable HIPS each time I boot up. Are you saying that when HIPS is built I will not have to enable it each time?

8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

You shouldn't have to allow (or re-tick) the HIPS each time; the settings should hold. What version of ST are you using?
    Usually it takes only half-2 hours then (sometimes) a restart for the databse to build.

9. bamaman66

I assume I have version 2.0. I looked at what is on the computer and never found anything about the version. Their web site had version 2.0 so I think that is what I have.

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Version number (showing current version) near the bottom left.

Attached Files:

11. bamaman66

I have version 2.0.1.224. I am still having to activate HIPS install mode. I thought it would be built by now.

12. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

OK. Somethings wrong. You shouldn't have to be attempting to activate HIPS every time you restart. I'd try an uninstall, reboot, check that these files and keys are not present:
    1) C:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator is empty or non-existent.
    2) C:\Program Files\WinClamAVShield is empty or non-existent.
    3) C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Application Data\Spyware Terminator is empty or non-existent.
    4) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spyware Terminator is empty or non-existent.
    5) C:\Windows\System32\drivers\sp_rsdrv2.sys is non-existent.
    6) In the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Spyware Terminator is empty or non-existent.
    7) In the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Spyware Terminator is empty or non-existent.
    :cool: In the services: "Spyware Terminator Realtime Shield Service" is gone.
    9) In the services: "Spyware Terminator Clam Service" is gone.

If you can confirm all of the above, then reinstall.
    What other security applications do you run? And what OS?

13. bamaman66

I reinstalled HIPS(building database) is checked and Install Mode(disabled) is greyed out. Is this how it should be?

14. blackdog56

blackdog56 Registered Member

If I recall correctly, the HIPS Install mode is to be used when you are installing other software. This will preclude a popup for every piece of the softwares install package that tries to run. Once you have installed the other software, then take Spyware Terminator out of install mode.

The Install Mode will remain greyed, until the HIPS database is built (because of reinstall), then you should be all set.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  15. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

What OS are you using, and are you using an admin or user account? And what other security applications are installed?
    (I'm pretty sure that the above is correct.)

16. bamaman66

xp home edition, online armor free, AVG, superantispyware

17. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Admin account?
    And if this doesn't come right, there's a few pretty smart users at the ST forums here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.