Spyware Terminator Vs Spyware Doctor?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PhoenixWeb, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhoenixWeb

PhoenixWeb Registered Member

Hi

I am new to the forum.

I was using Spyware Terminator for a while, and I was pretty happy with it as it was free and all. However a friend convinced me that as it was free and from a company with a questionable past, it couldn't be that good.

Anyway I got a good deal on Spyware Doctor ($9.99) for six months. But I have to say that after I updated it and run a full system scan, I was a bit disappointed (I know that's bonkers) to find that my system was totally 100% clean in the first place.

So all this has lead me to think that Spyware Terminator does appear to be pretty good at its job as it found quite a bit of stuff when I ran it for the first time.

I was wondering if there has been any expert reviews of Spyware Terminator, or if anyone here has an opinion on how Spyware Terminator compares with Spyware Doctor...

2. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I have never actually used Spyware Terminator, but I have looked at the website and read a lot of fabvorable comments from satisfied users in this forum and others. It appears to be a very good product. It has HIPS and Active protection for free. That's hard to beat. And if you installed Spyware Docortr and it found nothing, your system is more than likely clean. Spyware Doctor has a very aggressive scanning engine, sometimes too aggressive.
    I say that if you like it, use it.

Free does NOT mean bad. Avira Antivir makes a great free antivirus product from what I have read in this forum. Comodo makes a free firewall that outperforms many paid firewalls.

In fact, you could go with Antivir, Comodo, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Terminator and have a solid security suite all for free. When my subscriptions run out to my current applications, I plan on doing just this.

PS...I presently use Spyware Docotr and love it. It is a great product. But if I can get similar protection for free, why pay?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: Up until one week ago, I have been using both apps. IMO, they are good programs. Then, something enters my mind, any security app has to WIN my full confidence to serve me, after all my wellbeing is at stake, I have to be very serious towards this issue. I dropped ST due to some uncomfortalbe rumors, and contiuned to keep SD, although there was a F.P. issue w/ some users. Hope my personal experience would allow you to make decision more decisively. Good Luck.:-*

4. PhoenixWeb

I in fact used AntiVir Personal for a while, and I guess it is a great marketing ploy as I upgraded to the Personal Premium edition, which I think is great...

I am also in the process of trying the Comodo firewall, and it looks like it could be a winner too!

5. ejr

ejr Registered Member

So tell me, why did you decide to upgrade from Avira personal to premium? I am considering switiching to Avira when my NOD license expires late next year. I want to try an all free security suite.

6. PhoenixWeb

Mainly because I wanted the security of having the designated MailGuard email scanner. I get 200 odd emails a day with about 90% of them being spam. As a result I get hit by lots of email viruses/trojans etc.

Bottom line is I just felt more secure having MailGuard to pick out the viruses as soon as they download. Also the fact that it only cost 20 euros helped too!

7. ejr

ejr Registered Member

For 20 euros or so ($26-27) I could renew my NOD32. I think if I am going to pay for AV, I will probably stick to NOD. But if I go to a free AV, Antivir will be my first choice.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have been using Mailwasher Pro for a couple of years with good results for the spam problems. It is worth a try unless you have something else that you prefer.
    http://www.mailwasher.net/

Best,
    Jerry

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Spyware Doctor (SD) is only better than Spyware Terminator (ST) on detection, because the rest is a resource hog...

ST is free, have a great IDS protection and runs very smoothly and fast...

I prefer ST 1000x times... ;)

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

11. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I just got Spyware Terminator 2 days ago, it scans fast. When I got Spyware Terminator I noticed a bug in the resident guard, I sent them a email, about 24 hours later I downloaded a update for the guard...that was fast. Its utilities/Tools section is kind of sparse with: Restore default settings; Restore computer to a earlyer time; Analyze file; Remove file.

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Thanks for the link. I went to that thread and read a bit further and saw ST's developer's comments re removal of ST from some competitors's database. He said to this effect; can not get it done thru tech department, has to get it done thru legal aspect, Wow, legal stuff? No kidding. It is an alarming confession; there is fierce infighting among some AS vendors. With his explanation, I am now more convinced than ever that those rumours are truly unfounded.:)

13. PhoenixWeb

Thanks Jerry. I have thought about trying Mailwasher a few times, but for whatever reason I keep skipping it. I might well try it in the future now though.

Currently I am using the free K9 spam filter (http://keir.net/k9.html) which I am finding brilliant. After three weeks of training, it is 99.8% accurate which I think is outstanding considering the amount of mail I receive. I used Spamihilator for a while but it was quite buggy and delaying mail download...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.