Spyware Terminator takes a step back?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I tried ST a couple months back and checked its active protection. First I cleaned my system with Spy Sweeper, AVG AntiSpyware and CounterSpy. Then I shut them all down and ran ST for a week. I then shut it down and ran those three anti-spyware apps again. At that time I found nothing on my system, not even tracking cookies. And I was pretty impressed.

Well taking that bit of info I allowed my Spy Sweeper license to expire and reoved ST from my system figuring I would just redownload it later. Which I did. Boy was that a mistake. I downloaded ST yesterday morning, ran it for several hours while I was on the internet visiting site, then ran a scan with AVG AS which found 21 tracking cookies. I thought that was a bit odd. So I ran all my spyware cleaning programs- besides AVG, I am now using SuperAntispyware as stand alone programs. Then making sure ST's active protection was enabled and up to date ran ST all of today for about 10 hours of internet time, visiting many sites.

The count when I re-ran my AS programs to clean again- AVG, SuperAS (as well as ST) was as follows:
    SuperAntiSpyware 32- tracking cookies.
    AVG- 10 tracking cookie objects, 16 traces.
    ST- 10 tracking cookies (even with active protection on).

Wow. Has crawler "updated" their ST program recently? Something is certainly strange about this.

2. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

Which browser are you using? Tracking cookies have more to do with browser settings than anything. I don't know of any AS utilities that prevent tracking cookies real-time (I could be wrong on this, but don't think so). They seem to only find them on scans. I use ST a lot, but have very tight settings on all my browsers, use mostly Opera browser, and never have tracking cookies. Anyway, check your browser settings and see what kinds of cookies, etc it is allowing.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Cookies should be the least of your worries.
    Mrk

4. btman

btman Registered Member

Yeah definitely , you can't make a comparison of anti-spyware programs by something nearly harmless unless thousands are on a system at once.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ewido now called avg antispyware 7.5 removes tracking cookies in real time but i dont see the point.
    just run something like C Cleaner
    lodore

6. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Do you have scan for cookies enabled in ST scanning options?

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Having cookies were not really the point of my post. I am more concerned with ST's active protection being less effective in its "upgraded" program. What's next to go? Seriously, we are dealing with Crawler.com. And they are still pimping their spyware toolbars and suspect screensavers on their site.

8. btman

btman Registered Member

Well different sites block different cookies.... and ST can't block them all, I'm positive they didn't "downgrade"

9. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I have only read good things about ST's active protection. So I wouldn't be alarmed that it let some cookies on your machine and didn't detect all of them.

Cookies are easy to handle with IE.

Now, if your other Antispyware programs were detecting real malware that ST let on your machine, that would be an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.