Spyware Terminator: How good is it's active protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ejr, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I just cleaned up my mother's computer this weekend. It wasn't infected or anything like that, but I would simply feel better knowing that she had a decent security suite.

I have PC Cillin Internet security on her sytem right now simply because it is low maintenance. It's not gonna give her a ton of popups and with her surfing habits, should be enough to stop the viruses.

But spyware is a different issue. The thing is, she isn't going to use the scanning aspect any software. And I also don't want her calling me every 5 minutes about a popup.

So I want something to immunize her system with some active protection. I'm thinking that I will use Spyware Blaster to immunize and Spyware Terninator (with the HIPS turned off) for Active Protection.

Can anyone attest to how good Spyware Terminators active protection is? Also, with it's HIPS turned off, is it relatively transparent?

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I ran ST with its active protection enabled for a few days a couple weeks ago. After that I scanned with several of my stand alone anti-spyware programs (Ewido, SuperAntispyware, CounterSpy) and nothing was found. The active protection is better than that provided by CounterSpy or Microsoft's Windows Defender but most likely not on on par with SpySweeper.

One thing about ST is that besides disabling HIPS I would recommend you disable the Clam AV as well. Especially if you have Trend Micro AV running. The Clam AV is a real resource hog.

3. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Oh, absolutely. I didn't plan on really using any of the application other than the active protection. Thanks for the info. I run S[ysweeper on my system, but if I can get mom something that works close to as good for free, that's all the better. Her surfing habits are very safe anyway.

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

One area that ST may be behind other quality AS programs is lower detection rates of the scanner.
    The rtm worked well when I used it.
    So the Active Protection should work well for your needs.

5. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Its great it blocked Coolwebsearch from installing and starting up. Also it blocked 180 solutions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.