Spyware terminator! great product

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dell boy, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

ever since this event i have been using spyware terminator and i am wondering why it seems so under-rated in these forums.

my older brother isnt all that computer savvy and managed to get what seems like the zlob trojan problem where bogus security alerts say he has viruses and trojans blah blah blah, the product recommends a program and such.
    he asked me for help :cautious: as usual so i downloaded mbam and never found a thing. wasnt too happy so done a kaspersky online scan and found trojan in some folder. i tried various progs like SAS and had no-luck and was running out of ideas. i right clicked this folder kaspersky found to be infected and manually scanned with ms defender and walah!
    rebooted and was ****ing back:blink:
    so i downloaded spyware terminator and it found 5 trojans in this folder and deleted and was perfect!
    since then i downloaded on my lappy and it saved me from a rogue download which the spyware warrior website recommended called x-cleaner-x or something and i later found this to be a known trojan-dropper or something
    this product spyware terminator has no end of tools from superfast 30 second scans to HIPS(which i turned off because i have defence+) and realtime to system immunising similar to spyware blaster and s+d. also it has optional built in clamv which isnt so great i hear.
    i am wondering why people havent picked up on it recently on how good this is and would like to recommend it to people it has been my No.1 antispyware.

http://www.spywareterminator.com/
    dont worry about it saying antivirus you can opt out of clamav in the installation

2. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I was always turned off by their optional toolbar -- I know you don't have to install it but it still makes me hesitant to try the program.

Toby

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

If you are refering to "CleanX". It is listed HERE as a "Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Product(s)". That means it is not being recommended.

4. dell boy

i just looked over my post and thought of that, yah tis optional but i installed it because you get cookie scan and favourite scan and it can simply be disabled in firefox :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: i know its 100% safe its been on my computer and my brothers for months
    i think the toolbar isnt so bad but maybe thats just me

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  5. dell boy

6. progress

progress Guest

Any other experiences with Spyware Terminator? It's free .. :doubt:

7. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

I tried ST a week ago and uninstalled it after It had found a few FPs. Maybe I shouldn't have use the integrated clamwin's realtime scanner. ST detected a "malware" when I tried to install an absolutely legal software. However I asked it to ignore the detection,the installation still failed several times. There were other FPs too,but I'm not sure if it's Clamwin's fault.

Despite the FPs,it looked decent and was light on my vista system.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  8. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I've had various FPs with ST even without installing ClamWin.

9. progress

progress Guest

What about the HIPS part? :doubt:

10. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

As far as I am aware of, ClamWin itself does not have realtime scanning capability. This is something folks behind ST have added themselves, if such exists within ST.

11. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Yes, real-time protection for ClamAV was integrated a long time ago into ST. :)

12. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I was put off by the toolbar.
    Other than a few fp's, it wasn't too bad.

13. raven211

I'm pretty sure the toolbar and prompts can be avoided - that's, turned off forever, not just closing everytime. :D

14. progress

progress Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2009
  15. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

It's not a bad product for being free. It used to be recommended as a substitute for windows defender.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  16. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I just don't see how these tests are relevant. Matt is simply blocking the execution of the malware. Any HIPS program will do this. Let's see what happens if he allows the program to execute. Only then will we see how ST really performs. Am I missing something with all his tests?

The only relevant tests IMO are the ones where he tests programs like ThreatFire and other BB. These programs detect behavior and will initially allow the program to execute.

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  17. progress

progress Guest

Oh, I didn't think about this. So the HIPS would block anything, not just the malware :oops:

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

dont forget that it has the clam antiirus in case the hips is bypassed the scaner can pick up malware too,it is not perfect but still a free good program

19. dell boy

i have used the hips, seems fairly decent, it has all you would expect but i dont use the hips because ive got comodo but i still like its tools such as cookie scanner and the toolbar isnt actually bad by the way, its stopped me entering a few nasty sites and it is optional to have the toolbar and anti-virus. it also has a handy things like "locked file" killer and does have the immunize feature of S&D.
    about the fps, it may of had a couple but it picks up the baddies that's whats important.
    it does actually have real-time scanning aswell as a hips module, so even though i am using a different hips i still get real-time protection

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I used Spyware Terminator for a couple of years up to version 2.3, before moving on to other apps. I also found it useful "in the field" for cleaning up infected PCs. I would use it first since it's Fast Scan is very fast, remove the first layer of crud and then switch to other scanners.

Significant changes were made in version 2.5, especially to the real time shields. I'm not very familiar with v2.5. I think it has a lot of potential though, and if I wanted to use freeware again I would definitely evaluate it.

I tried using ClamAV in ST v2.3 with mixed results. I would recommend a separate dedicated AV, such as Avast or AVG to use along side of ST instead of ClamAV. Since they are also free I don't see any advantage to using the integrated ClamAV.

By the way, it's important after installing ST to do a full scan and then classify any "unknown" software it finds. That way it won't block and alert on legitimate software that it doesn't have on it's white list.

And then there's the toolbar. I'm not a big fan of toolbars, but during the installation of ST there is a clear choice to "opt out", so I don't see a reason to be upset about it. It includes additional security features and generates a little revenue for the developer (by using the search engine I believe). Since the software is free and there is no "pro" version to buy I don't see including the toolbar as unreasonable. That said I think the Free/Pro model is better for security software since the Adware model has largely degenerated into the Scamware model and users are rightly suspicious of toolbars, etc.

21. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

I have done alot of beta testing ST and it is a great AS i think (my opinion)

but for all who get a FP report it here

http://forum.spywareterminator.com/Default.aspx?g=topics&f=42

they will fix it at next update. that fast.

Ive been using ST since ver 1.5

22. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Installed the rogue "Windows Protection Suite" into an XP vm then installed ST which keeps finding the rogue but can't remove it.

ST 1.jpg

23. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

yeah i do agree ST does great at proventing but removing it needs works.

try in safe mode is all i can say and lets see if it has luck then. it is able to run under safe mode.

well you can also put the rogue av EXE add to the blacklist and it shouldnt load at start up then try and remove maybe you will have luck.

but again ST does have issue removing already infected PC's I hope they improve that. but they does release a update almost every month.

24. tombratt

tombratt Registered Member

Does this program cost money?

25. raven211

Nope - Spyware Terminator is completely free to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.