Spyware Terminator 2.5.0.567

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Makav3l1, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yep, so has AVG free, but they do not have ST shields, only on execution or file access check. I think the freeware combo ST + Avira Free beats Avast or AVG in protection

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yuo know what agree 100% avira is a killer plus with the help of st,good combo and fast:thumb:

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

ST is not the best Real-Time or On-Demand out there related to malware detection, but is very good to detect changes in some important areas of our systems, without slow down the system because is not a poll program.

You can set to auto block threats, allow good programs and ask you about unknowns, or you can change all these settings for your needs...

4. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

I understand that. I have used safespace, geswall, and sandboxie free versions. I settled on sandboxie with internet access restriction. I just like to keep an eye on developing free software like ST. I installed it to give it a run, but I never considered switching to it from Defense+. I'm just curious what thorough testing from someone who does testing regularly would result in with their new resident shield/hips combo.

5. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Ok, there aren't better antispywares with real time monitoring, but I think it's much more important to detect more without real time protection rather than to have protection but detect much less.

6. gery

gery Registered Member

i think both are important but in this case (ST) has a little bit from both sizes tho it just doesn't play nicely with lets say AVG or other AV applications.

7. emperordarius

Yes but too little from the detection part...

8. gery

gery Registered Member

i have used ST long time ago when it was almost nothing becouse that was the first application to come out of googling but today who cares about such a thing? I think if someone has a good setup even a free one AV-FW-BB-HIPS or Sandboxie i think no ST is needed no matter how light it is. Lets say if SAS or MBAM was out there as ST realtimeshield canners that would very very nice but ST? no thanks but no

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Would Threatfire be in this class?

10. 3xist

3xist Guest

Just tested Spyware Terminator 2.5 in VMWare...

It's "good" on resources, Installation is OK But got 80/340 for Comodo Leak Test Suite... And I put it's HIPS on high as well. The HIPS is also probably the most nosiest Ive seen. Haven't tested Detection Rates, I heard the detection rates are decent.

IMO they need to work on there HIPS.

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I think it is a nice program, but believe there are better options. I prefer a AV program with threatfire.

12. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I agree with Clocks, I think ST is a nice program. I use SuperAntispyware and my AV program with threatfire, ST's Hips are noisy. ST's Hips don't need to/shouldn't be so noisy. The Hips part should be more seemless and not so noisy.

13. gery

gery Registered Member

Just ditch it and you are done

14. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I wholeheartedly agree with firzen771 (among others).

Spyware Terminator is one of the most overhyped, overrated security applications I have ever come across.
    -The noisiest HIPS (with the possible exception of Comodo) that I've ever encountered.
    -Impossibly slow spyware scans.
    -The inclusion of Clam antivirus is a joke !
    Clam antivirus is famous for terrible detection capability and (also) extremely slow scans.

Yes, it has a nice interface and lots of configuration options.
    yes, it has real time protection against spyware.
    -But-
    About the real time protection;
    Where does it show what has been blocked ?
    Are you sure it's really blocking anything ?

Nothing about the program convinces me that it's worth the time or trouble.

15. gery

gery Registered Member

yep you are right it is overrated and overestimated.

16. emperordarius

I'd like to see it tested at remove-malware.

17. progress

progress Guest

.. and it was listed on spywarewarrior.com as a rogue antispyware! I don't trust ST :cautious:

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

19. progress

progress Guest

Thank you, i know :)

20. blazr63

blazr63 Registered Member

I upgraded from 2.3 and noticed a few problems so I reinstalled 2.3. The 2.5 version blocked NOD32 from auto updating, gave strange install alerts when ThreatFire ran processes in the background and overall made my system run slower. 2.3 is lighter on resources and doesn't nag as much. Overall I doubt this program has a lot of value but I'll run it as long as its free and doesn't slow down my system too much.

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I find the comments about ST slowing the system surprising. I've used 2.3 on and off, both on my home system and for cleanup in the field because the scans are so fast. The quick scan is especially fast so I often install ST first to remove the first layer of malware. It will also install in SAFE mode which is a real plus when doing system cleanup (note: there is a realtime shield error when installing in SAFE mode, but the On-Demand scanner will update and run without problems). While I would not rely on it exclusively it definitely does find and remove a significant amount of malware. The real-time shield does also catch and block malware in my experience. I don't have much experience with the new ST 2.5 though so can't comment on it.

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

My opinion is rather limited toward ST.

Besides the Real-Time Protections (HIPS) the only other rise of interest i draw from it is it's real-time display monitoring gizmo at the clock tray area. I would love to see just that one item alone released as a freeware because that's mainly for me anyway been a help in tracking real-time loading dll's and such and their sequence of initializing.

Other then that, i agree Clam is a no-brainer useless element and try as hard as they may, they are IMO, and not to unfairly single them out for that particular limitation, but their malware detections are on the same level as Lavasoft's Ad-Aware 2009 or whatever they call it now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.