Spyware Terminator 2.5.0.567

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Makav3l1, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

As someone who likes to follow free anti-malware programs, Spyware Terminator 2.5 was released a few days ago. I haven't seen much conversation about it on the forums. I installed it to see how the new real-time shield works along with their new hips program. Is anyone else trying out this new version? If so, what do you think?

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

It also looks to be released by a new "group" named Xacti.

http://www.spywareterminator.com/news/news.aspx

There are not any release notes posted yet: http://forum.spywareterminator.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=5578

Edit: NM, Xacti and Crawler seem to be the same thing. http://www.spywareterminator.com/about-us/about-us.aspx

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  3. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

It seems like they put alot of work into this release. I wonder how powerful it's new HIPS is? Does the new Spyware Terminator have the ability to whitelist trusted programs and block all other executables from running?

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I tested the beta.

It is quiet good. For people wanting a intrusion protection with less hassle, it sure is a nice approach.

A) the shields provide good protection and use white/blacklists with rules for ALLOW when known good, Block for known bad, ASL for unknown.

B) On top of that it has some sort of installler recognistion when HIPS is enabled (so you can distinquish installs from intrusions). It white lists all aps on your hard drive at setup.

The HIPS and shield only focus on execution control and installation/change of setup, it won't protect against dll-injections etc.

Cheers

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I mainly like it because of its Real-Time protection.

It doesn't poll your CPU like many other similar programs...

I don't use its HIPS features...

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Problem:
    A security app of any nature * MUST protect against DLL injections or it's leaving a very vulnerable gap in it's design that will turn users away.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if it doesnt protect againts dlls injection it is not mature yet:thumbd:

8. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

Uhm wow. I'm with EASTER and jmonge on this. How could they overlook something this important? Do you guys think it could be an unintentional oversight? Lot's of testers felt it was rushed through beta. I feel like opening up an account on their message boards and asking them there.

Do they (the Spyware Terminator team) have a representative here?

9. Kees1958

Guys, look at the bigger picture.

When you use Avira Free and Spyware Terminator free behind SandBoxIE, SafeSpace, DefenseWall or GesWall Pro, handling dll injections is a non issue.

Cheers Kees

10. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Besides zopzop, you are still running as a restricted user right? Then you don´t need to worry about dll injections.

/C.

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

This program used to use a lot of resources. Have they made any improvements in this area? thanks

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

A lot of resources!!!o_O

Where!?

13. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

So if resource use is low, is it 'easy to use', as in, 'are the alerts easy to understand'?

I would be interested in installing this on a novice user's system to complement avast! or avira.

Some people just can't be convinced to perform on-demand scans (SAS/MBAM).

14. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Just noticed data execution prevention stopped the installer from running. Anyone else experience this?

All ok now. Not bad for a free program, the report after a full scan shows some good information.

Seems to be easy to use as well. Helps too that HIPS isn't on by default (this would suit most users).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  15. MEJ

MEJ Registered Member

I agree that this is not a bad program at all for a free real-time antispyware. Run with Avira Free and ThreatFire (instead of ST's anti-executable HIPS), and with back-up scans from SAS and/or MBAM, would make it an excellent quiet set-up for an average user.

ST still has a bad rep because of Crawler's past associations, but I do think the (Czech?) developers are really trying to produce a worthwhile program.

I haven't seen any recent testing of ST. Would any of the experienced testers here be willing to put it through its paces?

16. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

I would be curious to see those results too.

17. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ive had nothing but bad experiences with spyware terminator in the past, and will never put it on my computer again. i wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole... but thats just personal experience from past versions, but somehow im skeptical about this one being much better.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  18. clocks

clocks Registered Member

So do those that have been testing this have any verdict? What is the memory usage? If you use on-demand scanning only, is there a resident process (like ad-aware)?

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Version 2.3 installs a driver which runs even if the resident shield is turned off. I believe 2.5 does the same, but it's been a while since I played with the beta. Perhaps another user can confirm?

20. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

There are better free Antispywares and better free HIPS/IDS. Not worth using at all.

21. Kees1958

Makav,

You need a strong first line of defense like SBIE, SafeSpace, GeSWall or DefenseWall. It is a nice application to use behind those strong HIPS/Sandbox applications.

I would not use its HIPS, but its IDS is better than Windows Defender and it runs nicely together with a free antivirus only like Antivir.

The critisme you find on Wilders is partly because it is not a strong HIPS (no provention against DLL injection fo rexample). You should look upon SpywareTerminator as a reasonable AS with a terrific set of intrusion shields. I think the devlopers position this appliction incorrectly. It is a nice and strong AS + IDS, but not a substitute for a first line HIPS/Sandbox,

As said it is great after a strong first line. I have brought it to its knees against to many PoC's and malware samples when using it as first line.

It is really a user friendly solution for some one wanting to put together a best of breed freeware set with very few user intervention (e.g. GeSWall free or SBIE free and Avira free + Spyware terminator free).

Cheers Kees

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Better free antispyware applications with real-time monitoring? Which ones?

23. Kees1958

Am interested too, what about free ones which have all those nice protection shields which come with ST too?

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

avast has a built in antispyware app:thumb: and it is free

25. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Better free realtime AS, where?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.