Spyware software - Spycop

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Pilli, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello, I have started this thread as Mr Balze mentioned Spycop in the TDS3 forum. I feel a discussion about Spycop seemed more apt here.
    My questions are:
    1. Would I gain any extra benefit from running Spycop as I already run, Spybot S&D, AdAware, spywareBlaster & spywareGuard.
    2. Does Spycop use a more advanced or better technology than those mentioned in quetion 1 or have they just been doing it longer & have a larger database.

Thanks for any replies - Pilli

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Pilli,

IMO Spybot is unbeaten in detection and speed of updates.
    The Adaware you´re running has not been updated in almost four months. :blink:
    SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are excellent programs for protection and we all know how hard Javacool works on his updates. And when you´ve got Spybot S&D to back it up I think your protection against spyware is excellent.
    With Adaware hopefully coming soon with version 6, my advice would be to keep the money in your pocket for a while.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Pieter, Thanks for your reply.
    I am aware of AdAware's recent lack of updates, I have a licence for AdAware + so, hopefully, will be informed when the new V6 is available.

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Pilli,

Yes, Lavasoft clearly stated in their announcements that all paying customers would get a free upgrade.

Regards,

Pieter

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Pilli - SpyCop is focused entirely on detecting keyloggers and keyloggers only.

To the best of my knowledge, their database of keyloggers is larger than anyone else's - and, yes, they have been at it for quite awhile.

I bought it years ago and have been entirely satisfied with it (you get life-time DB and engine updates for no extra charge when you purchase it).

That said, the keylogger detection provided by other programs (notably SBS&D and TDS) should be sufficient for most users who aren't specifically concerned about the possibility of being key-logged .

The major players in the keylogging market frequently make changes to make their programs harder to detect - or even try to disable anti-keylogging programs - I'm not sure how much of a priority it is with software that merely includes keylogger detection as a single element of their program to keep up with those kinds of changes and tactics.

(I like malware-specific software - when a program concentrates solely on one threat, it generally does a better job of keeping up with that threat - at least IMO). Pete

6. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Very well said, Pete!

John

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

8. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.