Spyware--Pervasive Problem

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Shae, Nov 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shae

Shae Registered Member

Hi guys!

I saw this story on our local news and I was just wondering what you thought of it.

http://www.nbc5i.com/specialreports/3920684/detail.html

Seems to me they left an important thing out in the report...prevention....ex. Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard and IE-SpyAds.

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Yeah, Javacool's software, SpyAds, and various Hosts files often go overlooked, and that article probably doesn't help things by saying to stay away from the free programs (in the same sentance as recommending Spybot and Adaware.) Some of the best stuff IS free, and just as many of the paid anti-spyware programs are bad too. Free vs paid isn't really much to go on. But I suppose the reporter is more interested in the spyware being there in the first place than helping anyone remove it.

If only we could make Eric Howes' page a household name..
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

3. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Yeah, but did you get where the computer nerdz guy said "A year ago spyware didn't exist...." Where has HE been?? I've been aware of it for 3 years and I am a newbie - still!

That part about don't use free stuff, sounds a little self-serving to me! This is about the 6th article in a month that has said nothing about prevention! People must feel hopeless, I know some that do- or did! :)

I really feel it is going to come to some kind of "showdown" about what constitutes ad/spyware and who pays what politician the $$ to decide, that will be a crying shame, not to mention an actual crime!

Where are all these self-important computer whizs coming from, they all invariably say the same things.
    Don't download Free programs to clean your computer.
    Don't listen to the people on security forums, was another.
    (They said the people running them have a second agenda, selling product, I guess is what they meant.)
    Some ads are good for the industry. (well, of course they want that)

One "whizzard" even said file-sharing has nothing to do with hurting people's computers, that it is the RICAA that is doing all of it.

These are legitimate newspaperso_O Evidently the IQ of most "whizzards" and "users" has dropped tremendously in a year or so? I guess these reporters just can't find anyone who has any common sense, like Notok said, the reporter liked the spyware better than a happy ending!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.