Spyware not in background programs !

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by cyrusd, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyrusd

cyrusd Registered Member

i have installed spyware and i need to know if it should be running at all times in the background for it to Protect my Computer.

I notice that in the list of progarns running intreh background, Spyware is not mentioned. Does this mena that it will not protect my system ? how do i always make it prptect my system ? Do I need to launch it eveytime I start my computer?

Thanks

Cyrus !

2. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hello Cyrus,

Have you installed SpywareGuard or SpywareBlaster ?

Regards

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi cyrusd, and welcome to Wilders,

You weren't clear about what you're asking about, but I'm guessing you mean SpywareBlaster (as opposed to SpywareGuard, both of which are great Javacool products).

I'll refer to it as SB for "shorthand". You'll need to run it once when you first install it, to set up its protection (which is in the form of what they call kill-bits in the registry), but you just shut it down after doing that and it's the registry, in effect, that provides the protection.

If you didn't subscribe to the new auto-update service, you'll also want to run SB about once a week or so to check for definitions updates and to add any new items to the protection. Then you just shut it down again.

So "normally", that is, most of the time, SB isn't running at all which is why no active processes are showing for it. If you do have the auto-update (which I don't), I don't know whether that's a background process or if it's handled through the Task Scheduler, I'm sure someone else will be along to answer that part of it.

Best,
    Mike

4. cyrusd

cyrusd Registered Member

Hi thanks for you reply. Sorry about the confusion. Just to clarify, I am using Spyware blaster. I have already installed it and said ENABLE for EVERYTHING. im not registering it. so i am aware that autoupdate wont happen. I will manually update teh files.

But my question is that once my computer starts everyday, do i need to open the Spyware blaster program again in order to make it protect my system. Wil it still protect my system if i do not open the program ?

Cyrus

5. subratam

Hello Cyrus,

SpywareBlaster is that type of program which follows the rule " Set and Forget". Once you have checked for updates and enabled the protections (all the protections), you may not think about it as it will continue to serve you in background. Just do , as MikeBCda said, check for updates and thats it.

Regards

6. cyrusd

cyrusd Registered Member

registry keys identified !

After installing and setting up Spywareblaster, i scanned my computer using ADWARE 6.0 and it identified 3 Regsitry keys.

Does this mean that Spywareblaster failed to stop these from entering the system ?

Cyrus

7. subratam

Re: registry keys identified !

Cyrus,

SpywareBlaster is NOT a scanner but a program that blocks spywares to be installed. I cant or it dont eradicate the already existing spywares in your system. Thats not its job. But it makes sure, you wont get affected by spywares(those listed in its databases) in future. MikBCda pointed out, it sets kill bits, which means it disables the chance of the future re-infection. It DONT scan your computer but it BLOCKS spywares to get installed.

Hope you get it now.

Regards

8. cyrusd

cyrusd Registered Member

registry keys identified

Thanks Subrtam but you have not understood my question.

I firstly have SPYWAREBLASTER installed. Im aware of the fact that it is not a scanner for adware files and it just kills or blocks them from entering the system.

For scanning for adware, I use ADWARE 6. Now before installing Spywareblaster. i scanned the PC using ADWARE and there were 0 objects found. After installing SPYAREBLASTER to protect me, i scanned the PC again using ADWARE 6 and it shower 3 registry keys (Cydoor).

Now my question is registry keys get indentified after i installed SPYWAREBLASter ?

ALso before installing SPYWAREBLASTER, i removed all adware objects.

cyrus

9. David Rabahy

David Rabahy Guest

Re: registry keys identified

Perhaps SB doesn't protect against Cydoor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.