Spyware/Malware Equivalent Program Question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by RudeRedDog, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RudeRedDog

RudeRedDog Registered Member

Disclaimer - I have checked this question out with LowWaterMark to make sure I was complying with the rules, especially with trying to avoid the X vs Y type discussions. Please answer the whole question not the Thread Title as the title bar wouldn't allow me to post the whole question.

Question: Would you list products that are in the same product space as Spyware Sweeper (SS), and have the same type of functionality?

Reason: I am going to use the list and trial these products myself after reviewing them. I want a product with the same sort of features and protection as I wish to replace SS. I know that each system configuration makes it tricky and I also know that not all products play - no pun intended - nice in the sandbox with each other.

I have used the Thread 'What is your security setup these days?' to review different firewalls, so I know there are lots of options/opinions and I used a list from that to review my selected firewall items to test. So please help me out with the Spyware/Malware if you would.

Hope I got it right LowWaterMark. :)

Edit: My hope is to have (a program/programs) that provide(s) protection like SS - I would like real-time protection where the program blocks Malware. I'd also be glad to have a different program that provides shields like SS has. I just have found that SS for all of it's protection runs real slow and hogs up resources. Does this help to add clarity to the question or did I hopelessly muddle it? :doubt:

Edit #2: System - XP SP2 (unsure about SP#), AMD 1.8Ghz cpu, 1Gb ram, Netgear FR114P wired firewall.
    Software - AV - ESET NOD32, software FW Sunbelt Kerio PF (soon to be changed), SpySweeper 5.5.7.124, Secunia PSI.
    On Demand programs used - HiJackThis, ATF Cleaner, CC Cleaner, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Spy-Bot S&D, PrevX CSI, RootKitRevealer, GMER, others as I find recommendations to try them and see if I like them.
    Browser - FF 3.0.1 with NoScript

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

2 things I want to say first:
    1.- Welcome to Wilders
    2.- I'm very surprized you took the time to check forum policy before posting :thumb: :thumb:

Back on topic

It would help if you explain a little more what do you mean when you say:

Please explain the funcionality you are looking for: just malware protection/detection/cleaning? Or all the "shields" that SpySweeper has?

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Same type of functionality: difficult question, since McAfee Virussscan Plus 2008 scans for malicious scripts, and in a way that's equivalent to the 'shield system' of the Spy Sweeper.

I'm not aware of any security software that uses shields like the Spy Sweeper, but if anyone knows, feel free to enlighten me :)

Same product space, and same functionality ?

Would that mean all antispyware software that offers strong active/real-time protection ? I'm just trying to understand the question.

4. RudeRedDog

I edited my original post to respond - I hope respond that is - to the questions asked.

5. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

SUPERAnti Spyware PRO offers a good protection (and detection), it is extremely light and compatible, and the license you buy is lifetime.

Note: SAS PRO protects only against spyware and doesn't block infected sites, however it also protects IE's homepage from being changed and has a function that scans the computer at startup and shutdown.

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

:D
    Shields very much like the Spy Sweeper: probably doesn't exist. Then again, define 'shields' ... In some way, McAfee Virusscan Plus comes close if you take the concept very loosely (systemguards (most of them disabled by default), scanning for malicious scripts, to some extent you can compare SS's internet communications shield to the SiteAdvisor, you can compare the file system shield (SS) to signature-based scanning by an antivirus, McAfee has many hooks deep into the operating system, (and in my experience it's a real resource hog)).

Real-time protection antispyware: many programs. I like Counterspy (new version due out soon, current version updates slowly), SAS is popular but I don't know it, Pctools has the Spyware Doctor but I would recommend you stay away from it, I've heard Kaspersky is good against antispyware.

I wonder why the Spy Sweeper (version without antivirus) is running slow on your computer. It´s so light on mine. Have you tried the customized install, without installing the ask.com toolbar or search assistent ? What hardware, including RAM, OS and other software do you have installed ? How old is your computer ? Are you sure you´ve tried the SS version without antivirus (version 5.5.7), without the Webroot firewall and behaviour blocker ? Have you installed and uninstalled many programs, which could cause a corrupted registry or corrupted data ?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2008
  7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

You may want to install A-squared from giveawayoftheday.com as it is free for the next few hours. If you like it, keep it. If not then at least you know. A-squared has a lot of "bells and whistles" so you may like it. Who knows?

8. RudeRedDog

I figured there possibly wasn't a similar shields match, but I thought maybe someone might have ran across something. There seems to be so much experience and variation within the folks frequenting this site, that I thought many heads are better than one at finding out options. Thank you Fly. :)

Thank you for the options Fly.

Good questions. I will update my post to include my system specs and current security - or lack thereof - setup. :doubt: 1 - Re: SS, I have tried the customized install as I usually do with any program. I also never allow, unless I am eating too many stupid flakes that day, misc programs to be added in, I detest that 'option'. After all it is out of the goodness of their hearts that they do it. 2 - See edited original post. 3 - My PC is a Heinz as I have recently changed the case, mobo, cpu, graphics, power supply & DVD burner. So some parts are older, but some are newer. 3 - I only have used the plain Jane AS version only of SS. I have another component that handles the FW issue. I am looking into a behavior blocker as well, since I don't use SS's version. 4 - It is possible that the registry could be corrupted, so that is a option I will look into remedying. Do you have any thoughts on that short of a system wipe and clean install? Thank you Fly. :thumb: :)

9. RudeRedDog

HURST, please forgive my lapse in manners for not saying thank you immediately. It was not intended. :oops:

Thank you for the welcome. :D

I can appreciate your surprise as I have seen folks commit the same error in other forums. I don't like to be classified as an instant BOZO because I seemingly couldn't be bothered to take a few minutes to review some basic rules and etiquette. After all, I am above puberty, have a college degree (big whoop) and have children, so I should at least try to act like a reasonable adult.

Thank you for commenting. :thumb:

10. RudeRedDog

Thank you. I just might like it. I am definitely going to review it. :)

11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

SS being bloatware ? According to Sunbelt -the company that offers the Sunbelt (Kerio?) firewall, there is a conflict between the Spy Sweeper and the Sunbelt firewall, not just during an on-demand scan. According to Sunbelt, paraphrasing, 'in developerspeak, the Spy Sweeper and the Sunbelt firewall follow two different codepaths, and we are trying to resolve that issue'. Maybe the Spy Sweeper would be much lighter if you removed the Sunbelt firewall, and with that I mean completely remove it ! I couldn't get the Spy Sweeper to function normally under the old Kerio firewall, which was later bought by Sunbelt.

I use IE 7 with elevated security settings. The Spy Sweeper has some functionality that should prevent any changes to IE 7. I don't know how well the SS and Firefox go together.

Regarding your hardware setup: you have 512 MB more RAM than I have, I have an Athlon XP 2800+ 2.08 Ghz. I suspect it's faster than your 1.8Ghz CPU, but clock speed is only one factor that determines CPU speed.

I have no idea if those ESET and Secunia products have any impact. I think I've read that Eset is fast, but I've also read reports that it really slows down your computer. And since it also has an antispyware component I could image that it could conflict with the Spy Sweeper. But I don't know.

Regarding your last question: I would only use a registry optimizer/cleaner if the alternative is a complete reinstall of the operating system plus software !
    They can be destructive, and downright malicious if you get a 'free' one. Of course, you could just delete your temporary files, even your browser history. Keep in mind that the latter usually disposes of your cookies.

And make sure you have at least service pack 2, with all critical updates (not everything that Microsoft calls a critical update really is one ! Some are just for their own benefit). If you have more Microsoft software than just the OS, I recommend using Microsoft update, it's more comprehensive than Windows update. I have decided NOT to install service pack 3, it can be a bit more difficult getting updates if you don't install service pack 3, but if you check for ALL, not just the critical/essential updates, you'll find a way to bypass that service pack 3 push.
    If that Netgear thing is a router, I suggest you configure it for optimum safety, including, but not limited to disabling remote control (from the internet), disable plug and play (that's something different from the plug and play service in Windows), change the default password, and if it's wireless, use good encryption, at least WPA, not WEP. And make sure that your software firewall correctly handles your wireless connection, and will not let something bypass the software firewall.

Later added: I used the customized install, NOT installing the ask.com toolbar or the search assistant (it's opt-out), I disabled automatic updates and automatically loading the Spy Sweeper during startup. I load the SS when the computer is 'ready', and I perform manual updates and I don't schedule scans.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  12. RudeRedDog

Good information Fly, I'll read over this and the other stuff to digest it a bit.

Hope others want to give their programs that take the place of SS. I have noticed it is not the most used program listed amongst the security conscious - no real facts here just what I pick up from various forums and the posters current configs.

<hmm...>

Smilie for this <hmm...> doesn't seem to be available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.