Spyware Guard updates - what's involved?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by MikeBCda, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi,

If javacool and crew keep to what's admittedly a flexible (and probably highly demanding) schedule, I imagine we'll be looking at a new update to SpywareGuard fairly soon, possibly the next couple of weeks.

This will be the first new one for me since I first installed it, so I'm curious. I've used avast (home) for A-V for quite a while, and that has separate updates for the definitions database and for the program itself (program updates will also do the database at the same time, if appropriate).

Their database update is almost completely "transparent" -- the program doesn't even need restarted, just carries on with the new definitions. Program updates, on the other hand, require a reboot since the resident providers are in memory.

Does SG update more or less the same way? I'm guessing that because your updates are relatively far apart, SG definitions are in the program itself rather than separate from it, and you update whatever's appropriate in the whole package.

Hopefully the above makes some kind of sense, and you understand what I'm asking. :oops:

Thanks and best,
    Mike

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I'd be happy to try to clear things up. :)

SpywareGuard database updates are indeed transparent - you just need to run the LiveUpdate to grab them. There should be no need to restart the computer - they will immediately be used. (Just in case, closing and re-opening all Internet Explorer windows, if you use the browser, can ensure the Download Protection component completely refreshes.) So no, they aren't in the program itself.

SpywareGuard program updates require you to install the latest version and reboot.

I hope to have a database update for SpywareGuard out soon. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks, javacool, guess my question was understandable after all. :)

If I may, one other related question that follows from your reply. I imagine updates to the program itself are probably few and far between -- does the Live Update check for those too, or should I just keep an eye on the website and/or the Update Alerts here?

Thanks again, and best,
    Mike

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

The LiveUpdate will indeed notify you if a new version of SpywareGuard is released - so all you need to do is run it every once in a while to check. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.