Spyware guard tampered with???

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by mojo, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mojo

mojo Registered Member

just got a new computer, spywareguard worked fine on the last one.
    i get error message- ''error reading spywareguard definitions! the file may be corrupt, or another program may have tampered with them"
    please help me!!!

2. lflnglearner

lflnglearner Registered Member

Interesting you should raise the issue. I use Microsoft's beta anti-spyware scanner and just 20 minutes ago I downloaded the latest definitions files and ran a scan: the scanner informed me I have NS Keylogger Personal Monitor on my computer. I looked at the location info and NS is tucked away in SpywareBlaster in what looks like an uninstall file. NS Keylogger is prominently advertised on the web by the originating company, so it's a real program and it's legally obtainable. The question is, what's it doing in Spywareblaster. My guess at the moment is that some clever cracker may have found a way to use SpywareBlaster to hide a spy: advantage cracker! Javacool can't be reached directly. Until this is sorted out, I may yank SpywareBlaster and await further news.

3. TOADFROG

TOADFROG Registered Member

I just found the same thing using the original Gaint anti-spyware and posted about it. Rather than uninstalling spyblaster, I suggest you just rename the unins000.exe to unins000.exeKeylogger or some such at least untill the issue is resolved. I strongly suspect this is a false positive as others have suggested.

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

The original poster is talking about an error installing SpywareGuard - not SpywareBlaster. There are 3-4 other threads concerning these likely false positives from MS/Giant around also.

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Mojo - the first thing I would probably try is an uninstall of SG, a reboot, and a reinstallation. You might try a fresh download of SG while you are at it.

6. rodan

rodan Guest

re:no updates

spywareguard will not up date state that there is an error downloading files, the last working definitions have been loaded from backups. can someone help a fella out.

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Re: no updates

Take a look here,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=65886

See if anything there helps.

snowbound

8. Teesa

Teesa Guest

Re: no updates

My best guess is since you put SG on your new puter via backup, that maybe not all the files associated with it went along as well. If you still have the zip file, or just re-download it, I'd uninstall it completely and re-install it. I'd say it should work just fine after that. :)

If it doesn't, let us know and we'll figure something else out :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.