Spyware Guard hogging CPU

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Cindy62707, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindy62707

Cindy62707 Registered Member

I originally posted this on the end of a topic that seemed to relate but it had not gotten any replies so I thought I would start my own title.

Hi,

My CPU usage for Spyware Guard is running at 97-98%, occasionally dropping down to 67% before bouncing back up again. My CPU meter is at 100% and it usually is way down 2-30%.

I am running Windows XP with all Service Packs installed. I have SpywareGuard 2.2 running in the task bar at all times and I run Webroot Spy Sweeper every night in addition to NAV.

Everything was running fine until today. SpywareGuard has never been a CPU hog before so I don't know what to do about it. I checked liveup date and it says I am current on on SpywareGuard updates.

Can anyone help? I saw an old message talking about the same thing without a definitive answer but it was too old to reply off it.

Thank you,
    Cindy

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Very strange....

Did u try uninstall than reinstall?

snowbound

3. Cindy62707

no I didn't. I just shut it down and CPU usage returned to normal. I have not rebooted yet to see what happens as it is set to start at startup. Just wanted to see what others did to fix this problem.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If you disable the SpywareGuard components one at a time....which selection appears to cause this ?

Also....in regards to SpySweeper....do you use it's any of it's Shield selections ?

5. cooldad46

cooldad46 Registered Member

I had a similar problem, but it turned out to be Spyware Doctor (version 3.2). I uninstalled it, installed 3.5, and I haven't seen the problem resurface in the last 5 days. (Are you sure it's Spyware Guard?)

6. Cindy62707

I just close out of Spyware Guard by first looking in Windows Task Manager and one can see how much CPU % it is taking up. I highlight it and press end task. Once it ends the CPU % free drops back down to just a couple of percent.

If I reboot my computer it comes back on as it is set to start when Windows boots. If I forget about shutting it down right away the same problem returns and it is hogging 97% or more of the CPU and my tower starts making some loud whirring noises. I go back into task manager, shut it down, and everything returns to normal.

So it is definitely Spyware Guard.
    (in answer to the shields in Spysweeper, YES... I have shields set, all except cookies. It has been set that way for a long time.)

Thanks,
    Cindy

7. Peeved McAfee User

Peeved McAfee User Registered Member

Cindy:

If you follow the suggestion by Bubba:

Perhaps it may help determine what is happening. To do that double on SpywareGuard's system tray icon and go into Options.

Also note that you should be able to exit SpywareGuard from this facility (File > Exit) rather than ending the process via the Windows Task Manager.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.