Spyware Guard can't detect BackWeb Lite???

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Birdman, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Hi,

I recently installed a Logitech program and ran SpyBot S&D afterwards. It came up with 60+ "BackWeb Lite" spywares (which it successfully removed). I also have the latest version of SpywareGuard on my PC. However during the installation process...SpywareGuard did NOT detect the BackWeb Lite spywares that were being added to my registry files. I thought that SpywareGuard prevented this sort of thing. Could someone please explain. Thanks.

2. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

As I had sadly discovered awhile ago when I purchased a Logitech Internet keyboard, they pre-load their software with Backweb Lite - [their mouse comes pre-loaded also]. I had quite a session with Logitech about this issue and they denied installing spyware. They also included games which contained Wild Tangent. However, it can be viewed as Malware if it comes to you in this manner. This malware comes with an installer so no matter how many times a person scans and gets rid of it, it re-installs. What you have to do is to disable the installer and or updater. Logitech informed me that Backweb Lite was necessary to make the sofware work however, when I uninstalled their updater, etc., the software works just fine.

Recently, I was cleaning out a virus for a friend and her computer came with malware pre-installed, namely Backweb Lite along with Wild Tangent and a few others. BackWeb lite even wrote itself into her firewall so it can freely send information out. Not nice!! We got rid of it all and her computer works just fine.

Given the above, I do not see how Spywareguard or other anti-spyware software can protect you against backweb lite if you had it installed. That is just my humble opinion. Hope the info, I have given you will help in some way. Cheers.

3. Birdman

Thanks for your reply Peaches. Can you tell me how to DISABLE the installer and/or updater for the Logitech WebCamo_O

Thanks.

4. Peaches4U

Oh boy ... here I go. :rolleyes: First try this. Go to START, then ALL PROGRAMS and find Logitech - the Updater, may or may not be there on the side bar. The following are instructions I got from Logitech:

"How can I disable it?
    To disable this service, simply go to "Start," "Programs," "Logitech," and click on "Desktop Messenger." There are two check boxes which are self descriptive. You can choose to disable either or both check boxes."

Birdman - if the above option is not there, you can opt to do the following:

1. Click on START, then click on SEARCH.
    2. A menu appears and type in the appropriate place BackWeb Lite .. then click to "search all files & folders". Your search will find everything there is and make a list of what is found that is BackWeb Lite. When the search is over, you can delete each one by one or if you prefer you only delete the installer and the Updater. Then run SpyBot and it will clean up everything else. That is how I did mine. Do another scan a day or two later and if SpyBot doesn't come up with anything, then you have gotten rid of it.

For some interesting reading on this you might like to visit the following websites:

http://cexx.org/adware.htm

http://www.safersite.com/PestInfo/B/Backweb.asp

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_b.htm

Good luck and let me know how you made out. Cheers. :)

Ooops, I almost forgot ... Welcome to Wilderssecurity. :D

5. Birdman

Hi Peaches,

Thanks for your prompt reply and all yourt help in this matter...you're awesome! :)

As you suggested, I unchecked the 2 options in "Desktop Messenger"

I ran SpyBot S&D and deleted all 60+ "BackWeb Lite" spywares associated with Logitech :mad:

Then I uninstalled Logitech's "IM" and "Desktop Messenger" programs in Add/Remove

I also deleted the entire "Desktop Messenger" folder under program files/Logitech (good move or bado_O))

Hopefully that will eliminate that problem. Thanks once again.

Regards,
    Mike

6. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Birdman,

That should do it.

Peaches4U: cookie time. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

7. Peaches4U

Yummy, yummy - I love cookies!! Thanks :D

Birdman - ya done good! :cool: Logitech is a good product so don't be turned off because other manufacturers are also leaning in the same direction of pre-loading malware. I just purchased a Logitech Optical Mouse and am fully aware that I shall have to deal with backweb lite :rolleyes: ... once you know how to remove it, not a problem. I like my keyboard as it serves the purpose I wanted. Enjoy your camera. Cheers. Oh, I almost forgot ... you deserve a cookie too. :D

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hi Birdman! I've split/moved your last post to this thread over here

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=17033

because I think the question you posed will get the best attention in that section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.