Spyware Doctor

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chaos16, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

I know i talked about this before ages ago but i was wondering.

Is spyware Doctor free a really good Antispyware coz cnet as given it the op reviews for antispyware.

Is spyware doctor like spyware hunter that gives false alarmso_O

coz i use adaware se, spybot-search & destroy and microsoft antispyware.

Now could these product miss some stuff that spyware Doctor could catch??

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I would stay with the three you use and not use Spy Doctor, just my opinion.

Have a look at this:https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=43060. :)

3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I would agree the three you are using are excellent and would (in my opinion) give you total protection against spyware, and that is the exact setup i use. I scan with MSAS daily, Adaware fortnightly and Spybot intermittantly.

If you are looking to include another good free program i would recommend Ewido free instead. This deals with spyware but it also tackles so much more.

4. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I alternated use of MSAS Beta, Spyware Doctor and Spy Sweeper, since all seemed to have good resident protection as well as fast and thorough on-demand scanners.

Spyware Doctor exhibited:
    - Frequent protection-list updates.
    - Occasional removal of seemingly benign cookies (such as PCStats).
    - Moderate memory load for real-time protection.
    - A number of false positives in on-demand scanning.

MSAS Beta exhibited:
    - Infrequent protection-list updates.
    - Lowest memory load for real-time protection.
    - I experienced no false positives.
    - Irritating exit/restart 'feature' of disabling real-time protection on restart.

Spy Sweeper exihibited:
    - Highest memory load for real-time protection.
    - Good protection-list update frequency.
    - No false positives, either in real-time or on-demand scanning.
    - Best overall protection options (the Shields).

I'm most confident with Spy Sweeper.

I purchased license for Spyware Doctor, so I'll just keep an eye on development, Since I think it could develop into a keeper. Similarly, I think MSAS Beta could develop into a keeper.

Right now, I have most confidence in Spy Sweeper, despite it's higher resource-usage.

5. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I tried Spysweeper myself too it does seem like a good product for especially for on demand scans but its memory usage during resident scan (even though i have a very poweful machine) seemed to be very high and caused some problems especially when burning disks with nero. I took it off for that reason. I assume it may just be something with my computer as Kaspersky AV had the same problem with memory problems and nero burning problems.

I now use Trojan Hunter, Mcafee enterprise and MSAS all on resident and i am very pleased with their seemingly low memory usage. And they all seem to be very good at what they do.

Its only a shame MSAS doesnt update more frequently (i believe its once a week at the moment),

Hope this is some help on your decision.

6. Michael_aust

Michael_aust Registered Member

I have recentkly isntalled spywaredoctor on two machines and i have mixed experiances. One was a 2.8 p4 with 512 ram and had used about 4gb and the other was a 2.6 celleron, 256 ram and used about 10 gb. I foudn that on the 512 machine it flew threw the scanning in a couple of minuites on full scan. but on the 256 ram it takes forever. It so so slow on it. I know it is because it hasalot on but compared to ewido, adaware, spybot, a squared etc its a snail I use it as a final back up incase i find anything.

7. controler

controler Guest

Anthony1uk

Here is what I do when burning CD-DVD's

I unplug my computer from the internet and close very program I have running
    and only use the burning software.
    Everything runs much faster and you end up with fewer conflicts.
    When I run a antitrojan or antivirus program, the same rule applies.
    Any time I edit any camcorder stuff I dissconnect and shut off all the other
    ram hogs.

Bruce

8. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

I surely would stick to the ones you're using now.
    Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware never found anything on my system.
    Used Spyware Doctor before, but it was giving far too much false positives (looked it up). :doubt:.
    As for the resources I never had any problems with it. It did take long however to perform a full scan.
    It's a nice app, but like Eric Howes said it has to grow.
    Surely it's one to watch though. :)

9. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

Thnx

I will stay with the ones i have and not put any thing extra.

Plus i have ewido free and a-squared that both of them removes spyware.

10. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I'm no expert on spyware by any means....but personally, it seems to be a pretty solid program to me. I've never experienced any "false positives" with Spyware Doctor, and I've found it to be a pretty effective and reliable source for spyware detection/removal. It has some really nice features, and each version is vastly improved over previous versions (3.2 includes a keylogger guard, with improved keylogger detection). Real time protection, very fast scans (Quick and Full) which can be done manually and are also available via a scheduler (Quick and Full) with live updates....and I have contacted their customer service, which is very good - they truly seem sincere in wanting to please the customer. I know that CNET/Dowload.com gave Spyware Doctor 5/5 stars (CNET/Dowload.com review of Spyware Doctor), and if you read the user reviews most of the people that slam it do so because the full version that includes the scheduler, Real time protection and live updates "is NOT free" (which I think is pretty weak).

Other sites have rated it pretty highly as well, and some have actually began to rate it above Webroot's Spy Sweeper for effectiveness (as well as faster scan times, less of a burden on system resources, etc.). Here's a couple of sites that rate it ahead of some of the bigger names (like Spy Sweeper, Pest Patrol, Ad Aware Pro, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, etc.)

adwarereport.com

toptenreports.com

Both reviews were done before the latest 3.2 version was released (and actually, even before the 3.1 version).

I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I kinda like this one. I think PC Tools is moving in the right direction and seems to be continually adding things and improving their product while backing it up with great service, which is what I like and appreciate. I'm sure you can find others that don't like it, and I'm no expert by any means, but I have found it to be very good the past few months that I have been using it. Hope this helps.....

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  11. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

those tests mean nothing with all respect...

wouldn't trust it for a penny :) the program may be good but every test that puts ALURIA (sic) as their number one means the test is biased :)

the same for toptenreports...biased and I bet they received money for making the product no1

12. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I can't speak for Spyware Eliminator, because I don't know anything about that product. As for the validity of these tests, I don't know, but I don't know that I am ready to automatically assume that they are on the take either. You might be right, but then again, with all due respect....that's just an opinion. I've used Spyware Doctor and personally I like and wouldn't have any problem recommending it. I was just mentioning a few other sites that speak highly of the product as well (to show the approval of others besides myself). But I certainly wouldn't judge the effectiveness of the product based off of a belief or opinion that certain sites and tests "might not" be legit. CNET/Download.com is one site that I happen to think is actually a pretty legit organization.

Anyway, I was just bringing another perspective to the table here, but people are free to simply write it off and ignore it if they choose to.

13. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

No prbs, honestly I believe YOU more then I would believe those tests :)

take care

Inf.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.