spyware doctor....

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dr4956, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr4956

dr4956 Registered Member

hi ..i just wanted to post for general info,that spyware doctor is a great program it just removed 3 trojans off my pc and instructed me alway through rebooting in safe and scaning.i have zass 6.5 and cs also on my pc..i just wanted to give this info to you all that might be interested...spyware doctor i a grat program.....

2. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

It's a nice program, I use it too. Then again, it is a bit of a resource hog and I don't think I'll renew it when it expires. I think the same level of protection can be achieved through freeware antispyware layering.

3. dr4956

dr4956 Registered Member

the trojan i caught was backdoor.graybird.gen..also what do you think about counter spy?...

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

CS is quite heavy on memory resources.

for a paid antispyware, id pick superantispyware pro and for free id pick spyware terminator (realtime) and superantispyware (ondemand).

5. dr4956

dr4956 Registered Member

thanks...

6. kdm31091

Yes Spyware Terminator seems good and it has realtime. So does Windows Defender. SUPERantispyware is great for on-demand.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

On my PC I installed free version of SD and it was taking much time to load on boot so I just removed it. I wonder is it a universal issue with SD?

8. kdm31091

Yes it is. It does slow down boot considerably. It takes about a minute by itself to load.

9. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

That's because Spyware Doctor has to go through it's little startup dance.

As you're booting up your PC, bring up Windows Task Manager and you'll see that Spyware Doctor HAS already loaded....it's just doing and completing a scan (Hosts, LSP, etc.) before the icon loads in the system tray. Oh, and it will be using about 60+MB of memory and quite a bit of your CPU as it's scanning as well. That's one reason it is such a memory hog, is because it doesn't seem to "release" the memory very well. But once it's finished it's scan and is loaded in the sys tray, if you open the interface from the sys tray by clicking on it and then closing it out by clicking on the X, you'll see the memory usage drop considerably......

10. Consoleman

Consoleman Registered Member

Guys,

Spyware Doctor ad Spysweeper are still way better than any other AntiSpy programs. Both programs are resource heavy but you can tweak it to remove part of their programs to load and work faster.

Both programs are only programs that performs frequent updates (twice daily), but others I rarely gets updates.

I guess paid programs are better than freeones.:)

11. kdm31091

Can I turn off this feature? The scanning at startup?

12. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

There is no specific button for disabling scanning at startup, but the scan depends on what ON GUARD protection features are turned ON. On my system Spyware Doctor 4 never uses more than 35 MB of memory, even after adding the new hosts scanner. (IMHO) The resource hog issue should be judged against what other apps or processes are loaded during start-up or running real-time since there could be overlaps or conflict.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.