Spyware Doctor Upgrade& Windows Mail

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MikeStevens, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeStevens

MikeStevens Registered Member

I have a new PC which has Vista and Spyware Doctor installed (the free version). Everything worked OK. I decided to upgrade to the "paid for" version of SD and then my problems began.
    Windows Mail would not start. I received a message "Windows Mail could not be started, initialize junk filtering. Your computer may be out of memory or disk is full (...which was nonsense) ... (0x80070002) and when I clicked OK, "Windows Mail could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initilaised"

After several hours and a few missed important emails later, I was advised to remove Spyware Doctor and do a "System Restore" and ... Windows Mail worked OK.

So, I reinstalled Spyware Doctor and, Windows Mail would not start up again.

So I uninstalled SD and did another "System Restore".

Now I have no Spyware Doctor, but an annoying "Spyware Doctor" pop up.

I have contacted the support people at PC tools but the only response I have had is a refund to my credit card.

What do I do now? I am loathe to install the free version. How do I totally uninstall all the SD components?

I am using this forum, perhaps I should wait for PC Tools to reply?

Can anyone recommend a similar product that works and doesn't give me all these problems?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Mike

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

1) Stop using system restore! :)
    2) Reinstall SD and then go to control panel > programs to uninstall it.
    3) SUPERAntiSpyware is highly recommended. The free version is a gem, but the Pro version offers additional benefits and can be purchased with a lifetime update package. :thumb:
    4) AVG Anti-Spyware and a-squared are good "on-demand" scanners that are also free.
    5) Make sure that you're using a quality anti-virus.

3. MikeStevens

Thank you for your comments but:

1. It seemed I had to use "System Restore" I didn't know what the alternative was. :mad:
    2. I did reinstall SD, and uninstalled it (twice). When I attempt to uninstall using Control panel, I receive this message "File C:/program File/Spyware Doctor/unins000dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall.

I still have a pop-up saying Spyware Doctor program is not working.

Mike

4. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

1. Use ERUNT:
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

2. Install CCleaner:
    http://www.ccleaner.com/
    Have CCleaner scan using the "Issues" tab and have it backup your registry when prompted just in case.
    Reboot.

Both are freeware.

5. MikeStevens

Thanks, I have CCleaner and tried that with no success. I note your recommendation about ERUNT.

EliteKiller said "Stop using System Restore" Can I know why this was said?
    I was desperate to gain access to very important emails which I was expecting. When I contacted PC Tools support, I merely received an acknowledgment (and a refund of my payment for SD) so what was I supposed to do? I'd appreciate comments for the future.

Mike

6. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Mike,

If SD is now removed from your box, I assume it is except for the pop-up. Use a registry cleaner to get rid of the leftover remnant of SD.
    MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR CHANGES!!

Eusing Free Registry Cleaner:

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

After you rid yourself of the SD issue, I would invest in an Instant Recovery app such as FD-ISR / BootBack.

I'd also post my SD issue on the PC Tools forum. They try to be very helpfull there:

http://www.pctools.com/forum/

hth,

...screamer

btw: I use SD ver 5.0.? I've had no serious problems, but I'm in the minority.

7. MikeStevens

Thanks Screamer, your comments are much appreciated.

Mike:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.