Spyware Doctor new version false positive?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by HAN, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Just a quick heads up. The new Spyware Doctor version 3.8 caused NOD32 heuristics to bark today. Once during the install and again when scanning the program folder. I submitted both via the routine in the Quarantine area.

The attached screen grab is during the install. The file that was tagged after the installation was called update.exe. So I "assume" that update.exe was in the is-015UU.tmp file.

Attached Files:

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

jotti scan results...

Attached Files:

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Dang I was just going to download it. Thanks for the warning.

4. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

I use Spyware Doctor quite a long time ago and I'm quite sure it is a false positive. This issue as also come up in a previous version of SD (I think before 3.5). Then I only ask the attention of PC Tools for the situation.

What I do is only deactivate AMON while installing. After installation the update feature of SD works well without interference of NOD32.

5. Onslaught7037

Onslaught7037 Registered Member

I have nod32 2.51.26 installed and I just installed spyware doctor 3.8 with no problems.

6. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

When I installed SD 3.8, NOD32 was in 2.51.20

Now with 2.51.26 it seems that there is now incompatibility.:)

7. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

I "tried" the trial version of Spyware Doctor recently and it supposedly found a trojan that neither Spy Sweeper nor dedicated Trojan scanner apps found. Their support was horrible and wanted me to pay for the program before they would even tell me if it was a false positive. I did not want removal instructions just to let them know that I thought it was a false positive. Needless to say I uninstalled Spyware Doctor.

8. Rik Bean

Rik Bean Registered Member

I found problems with Spyware Doctor too, and from my correspondnce with their TS, it was apparent they knew about them, but could not give me a date for a fix. As a result, I went back to SpySweeper, which works fine for me and does not conflict with NOD. Interestingly, SpySweeper has just received Checkmark Anti-Spyware Certification, it claims to be the first product in its class to do so:

http://www.webroot.com/company/awards/ss.html

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I used a trial of TM and also web scanner but it,s just my feeling it is catching false positives. Also crashes many times on start up, both on XP home and Pro.

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Sorry about your experience with TMAS.

Finding a good AntiSpyware program has been my most frustrating quest. And I'm not sure I'm done searching. For 1 reason or another I've tried & discarded numerous AS in the last 6 months. The list includes MSAS, CounterSpy, Ewido, Mc*f** AS, Spyware Doctor & TMAS. And a couple I can't recall. They all suck. I wish NOD32 would totally fill this void. Eset's NOD32 detects some trojans etc. But I wish they'd take it all on.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Evey time I run a trial of TM it brings out so many registry enteries that no other scanner brings, same with( but to less extent) spyware doctor. It is not the case whenI use trial of spysweeper, so I really don,t beleive much on these two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.