Spyware Doctor Detection?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Someone, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I know most people in this forum dislike Spyware Doctor (and Spy Sweeper) because of their automatic renewal policy, relatively bad support, bloat, more expensive, etc.

But is it actually bad in terms of protection? Has there been any tests on it?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  2. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

As long as detection is concerned I have found it to be good when I once installed and scanned with the 5th version of Spyware Doctor.

I can't tell for removal though, cause I had a BSoD right after the scan was finished. Sad story from there on :(

Version 6 could be perfect, but I'm traumatized and won't touch it :ninja:

3. Someone

Hi

So the detection is good?

Thanks

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

most users are shy away from SpySweeper and Spyware Doctor have similar reasons as users of Big SUV or Trucks---they are all in the same class---huge system resources burden.

They should, IMO, at least look at SAS for any guidance.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think and i said this cause i use(trial)both,that they are good at cleaning up
    and blocking malware the only thing negative about those two is that make my laptop slow,maybe cause i need more memory to run the 2 bigzillas:thumb: otherwise they are very good at blocking and cleaning up the bad stuff.

6. Someone

Hi

I know they both use a lot of resources. I also know that SAS is very good and use it myself.

The question I was asking was: in terms of protection only, is Spyware Doctor still a good product?

Thanks

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

my opinion is yes is still good and you know they are working hard to fight againts the bad guys but they have to keep up

8. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

IMO if you use an AV with good spyware detection you don't need to waste your money in Spy Sweeper or Spyware Doctor, you may use SAS on demand, because it's very light and finds almost everything that the good av may miss. And, it's even a good idea purchasing it, since you get a Lifetime License.

9. Someone

Hi

I mean disregarding the money factor, in terms of protection are they still adequate?

Thanks

10. emperordarius

spyware doctor: From the tests it is getting good results, bu the last time I used it it (last month) it displayed an incredibly huge amount of threats, in reality there were cookies, and some false positives ( it even detected as Trojan Downloader a program a friend of mine made in Visual basic used to download all the images of a webpage to a folder).

about spy sweeper: don't know, was so bloated that I immediately removed it

11. Someone

Hi

That's what I find so strange. All the tests I've seen (only a few) all seem to say Spyware Doctor is good, yet Wilders doesn't seem to like it at all.

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Aside from the business ethics of the company, and the latest (or another) version of the Spyware Doctor possibly being destructive (like causing crashes, loss of internet connectivity, problems culminating in having to reinstall the OS and your software and data) it probably misses a lot that it shouldn't miss in terms of active (real-time) protection. I used to find spyware/adware all the time when version 3 or 4 were still 'good'.

Since there is no NEED to use Pctools' software, why would you ?

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

when you say no need to use pctools'software do you also refer to threatfire?

14. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I don't really know Threatfire. But surely one can do without ;)

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i agree,it is not big deal anyway.
    note:my own experience.

16. Someone

Hi

That's why I'm confused. In the tests I've seen, Spyware Doctor gets very good scores.

There's no need to use any software.:)
    But I was just curious. I do not plan to use Spyware Doctor on my own computer any time soon.

Thanks

17. Someone

IMHO, ThreatFire is one of the best "smart" behavioural blockers, so it does not have constant alerts.

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

PCmag says they tested it. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2326198,00.aspThey say it's their favorite antispyware app.

19. emperordarius

CNET did some tests too, in fact the Editor's review was closer to reality:

In another test in CNET:

It obtained a 6.3/10 rating. Doesn't seem that good to me. And I guess that many users dislike the product, considering the average 3/10 user rating int the CNET review and lots of other bad reviews in Download.com

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  20. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Lifetime License ? Maybe we should question the duration of 'life' :rolleyes:

21. Fly

Fly Registered Member

You can't really rely on the (electronic) magazines. Testing is often mediocre (and funded by the company that makes the product!).

22. emperordarius

Let's say a lifetime license at lower price:D

23. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I have the SAS lifetime license since somewhere in 2006.. That's almost three years now. Good enough already, isn't it?

24. Someone

Hi

I think you're right.

Thanks for all the responses!

25. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Look the main reason Wilders peeps don't use the most famous progs is that they r the most bypassable by malware. Also they use much more resources and sometimes unnecisary features to get less done then some underdog competitors who like to keep things simple but effective at a lower price.

Last time i used SD max tweaked it showed hundreds of fp's! In my book that seems rogue at least to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.