Spyware Doctor 4.0 question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by twl845, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I received an offer to download SpyDoctor 4.0 for $20. That's $10 off. I'm wondering what folks that are presently using it think of the app. The reviews as a whole are pretty good, with the usual people who don't like it, but I'd like to ask real people what they think. How does it compare to Spysweeper, and how does it compare to AVG 7.5. Does it slow down your start ups and shutdowns? Is it slow to access? Thanks in advance for any positive or negative constructive criticism. :D

2. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

It is quite powerful and has recenlt in a short time more than doubled its definition file and has massively increased its signatures. It is heavy on resources thoguh sicn eit has many guards. I believe spysweeper is also just as strong if not strogner except its even heavier on resources

3. SPRINTMAN

SPRINTMAN Registered Member

Had Spysweeper and it brought my P4 2.8/1GB PC to it's kness. Spyware Doctor 4.x is much faster and a nice I/F. Version 5 is about to be released and should put it on top of the pile again

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Save your money. There are better alternatives.
    Mrk

5. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

OK, like what?

6. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Well, Ewido (AVG 7.5), for example.
    Mrk

7. ejr

ejr Registered Member

To say that one is better than the other is failry subjective. If you are referencing resource usage, ewido probably has the upper hand. If you are referencing detection and removal rates, I would give the upper hand to Spyware Doctor. If you are copmparing the actiove protection that each offers, I am not sure how those stack up. But if you want Ewido's active protection, you gotta pay for it, it is not free.

Persoanlly, I like Spyware Doctor. Of the programs I have tried (ewido, counter spy, spybot, adaware free, microsoft antispyware, and Spy Sweeper), I happen to like SD the best. I think it is a good choice among a number of good choices avaialble. A lot of it is a matter of personal preference.

That is not to say that SD is without flaws. It has a few more false positives than some others. The trial offer only detects malware and does not remove it (somewhat goading you to buy it), and the install wants to install Google Toolbar on your machine (a no-no in my mind). So PC Tools as a company has chosen some questionable methods.

But overall, I really like protection offered by this program at a rseource usage that I can live with. It is also very easy to use. I think it offers a nice mix of protection/user friendliness, and resource utilization.

8. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I think you summed it up nicely. Except the few FP = only FP. Now, an app that detects FP and asks for money to remove them, I wonders where it belongs? On a certain list...
    Mrk

9. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Let's not be dishonest.

I have real world data where SD detected REAL malware that Spysweeper missed. I have used the product for a month and there was one false positive on my machine. So the FP issue does exist. But to say "only false positives" is misleading.

If the product belonged on a Rogue list, don't you think Spyware Warrior forum by Eric Howes would have it there? In fact, it is on the reccomended list with a bunch of other reputable programs.

SD has performed very well in most of the reviews and test comparsions that I have seen.

10. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Ya I agree ejr. It is good detection and removal rates but has some minor issues with FP's. I wish there were some better tests that were similar to the oens at av-comparatives because I here Trend Micro is really good also. I would try Ewido it its trojan sigs were replaced by something else since Avira is very strong with trojans and is what I use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.