Spyware Blaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Dregg Heda, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Im confused as to how this program works? Is it a full blown real-time AS? Can it complement Avira Premium? What about Avira free? How does it compare with other AS like SAS or MBAM?

2. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Spyware Blaster PREVENTS you from visiting bad sites, or getting bad cookies. It is not an antispyware, but more of a preventative measure.

3. Dregg Heda

I see so how does it prevent you from visiting bad sites? Does it do a similar job to a webshield?

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I believe that SpywareBlaster:

1. adds a list of known malicious web sites to the "restricted" zone, which can be viewed at Control Panel/Internet Options/Security/Restricted Sites. This prevents these sites from infecting your PC (or at least greatly reduces that possibility).
    2. sets the "kill bit" on dangerous activeX controls in the Windows registry, which prevents those controls from being installed in the browser by a malicious website.
    3. blocks tracking cookies in Firefox.

SpywareBlaster is not a "resident" antimal-ware program. It only needs to be run when updates are available (roughly once a month) to add new entries to the sites and activeX lists. By the way, Spybot S&D has a similar "immunize" feature which blocks dangerous sites via the HOSTS file. I recommend using in conjunction with SpywareBlaster.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  5. Dregg Heda

If immunize is similar to spyware blaster why would I need both? What are the advantages of running both these programs?

Do I need either of these programs if I have a good resident AV/AS + SAS/MBAM + Firewall + HIPS?

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

You wouldn't need both, but since they each work via different techniques, nothing wrong with having both. The Hosts file is a way of re-directing known malicious URLs to nowhere, basically, in a process known as loopback. Such URL's are therefore blocked from loading into the browser.
    SpywareBlaster does it via the registry.
    Neither should cause any system load or slowdown.
    They are both quite different to how the AV/AS FW work.
    You may not need them, but they will possibly offer extra protection when it's needed.

7. Dregg Heda

Cool, I think I now understand what these products are about. Thanks for all the info guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.