Spyware Blaster won't enable protection

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Jlmyrehn, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jlmyrehn

Jlmyrehn Registered Member

Note: New thread started here so this one is now closed - snap

I updated Spyware Blaster with the 3/1/2005 update. It has 35 new Internet Explorer Items. When I click enable protection for all, it leaves all 35 of those unprotected. If I manually check each one and click to enable the protection it does it the same thing.

Any suggestions would ne greatly appreciated, Jessie

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2005
  2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Those 35 items were new ActiveX clsid entries which are written to the Local_Machine portion of the registry....which requires the logged on user to have Admin privileges\rights if using an NT based(2000\XP) OS(operating system). Is your OS NT based ?

3. Jlmyrehn

I do believe that mine is NT based. It is XP. So, what can I do?

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

In order to utilize the Internet Explorer ActiveX protection of Spywareblaster....you will have to sign-in as Admin or a user that has Admin privlegies.

5. Jlmyrehn

I am running an Windows XP based computer. I am not able to enable protection for the 35 Active X items. Yet, I am able to enable protection for other Active X items named the same thing with a different number.

I have paid for supporting this program. I really would like some help to fix this annoyance. I have had to purchase another spyware program to delete the ones that cannot be enabled with spyware blaster.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jessie

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Perhaps I am mis-understanding....but....if you have this other program delete them and then run Spywareblaster it will then list them but they will be un-protected o_O

Why are you deleting them if you are wanting to know how to enable them with Spywareblaster :doubt:

Also....in order to attempt to help you....it would be appreciative if the above question can be answered....Are you signed on with Admin privilgies o_O

7. Jlmyrehn

Yes, I am signed on with admin privileges. I have had spywareblaster for almost one year. It has been successful until March 1. It normally stopped all spyware. When I was unable to enable to the protection for the 35 items, I had to buy Spyware Doctor to get rid of the spyware that kept coming into my computer. All I want to know is how to enable the protection and why it stopped in the first place? I had not one problem with any iten, active x or otherwise until March 1st.

I really appreciate your patience with me and any help you can give to this situation.

Jessie

8. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Do you recall what programs you installed between the last time you tried enabling protection with SpywareBlaster (that worked) and that day?

Especially, of course, other security or privacy -related applications, which tend to have a greater chance of causing such issues.

Also, what security-related programs did you update on that day? Or immediately beforehand?

And what security software do you have installed? (Anti-virus, firewall, other anti-spyware, etc.)

Certainly. It definitely sounds like something isn't letting SpywareBlaster do its job here. And I'd definitely like to get to the bottom of it. :)

Out of curiousity, however, would you mind trying to download and install a few key support files that SpywareBlaster needs to run? It's always possible that the wrong version of something or another is causing these issues (although it's unlikely SpywareBlaster would be able to run at all, if that's the case):

Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Run-Time
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...61-7a9c-43e7-9117-f673077ffb3c&displaylang=en

Let me know if that helps, after installing it (and a reboot).

Thanks,

-Javacool

9. Jlmyrehn

I downloaded Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Run-Time and ran the file. I then rebooted and still can not enable the protection for the 35 items.

Any suggestions?

Jessie

10. javacool

Hi,

If you could answer those questions I might be able to get a better handle on what might be causing the problem here, and possibly how to fix it. Thanks! :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

11. jon123

jon123 Registered Member

Yes I recently had the same problem, a firewall was blocking a port I thought, so I restored a cloned backup I'd made before the update and after changing a few such settings the next update worked fine.

12. javacool

Hi,

What security programs do you use (such as anti-virus, firewall, etc.)?

I'm interested in any potential patterns. It might help me get to the bottom of this. Thanks! :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

13. jon123

jon123 Registered Member

ZA 3.5 169 but I think it was BIPC 3.5, yes I know I'm running two firewalls at the same time...

14. Jlmyrehn

First of all, I need to make one correction. My computer woes started 2/1/05. I installed a mouse driver from Logitech from a cd (immediately after this my computer was attacked from all sides...virus, adware, spyware and hijacked...that is the last time I will register something online). My husband downloaded Microsoft streets and trips (evaluation version). Besides that, since this problem on 2/1/05 we have collected Panda Titanium AntiVirus, Spyware Doctor, Spyware Guard, Registry Mechanic, AdAware SE, Spy Bot & Spyware Blaster all of which I purchased since the Logitech installation. Yes, this is over kill. If I could get spyware blaster to update, I could get rid of some of these.

I hope I have answered your questions and thanks for your willingness to help.

Sincerely, Jessie

15. Jlmyrehn

First of all, I need to make one correction. My computer woes started 2/1/05. I installed a mouse driver from Logitech from a cd (immediately after this my computer was attacked from all sides...virus, adware, spyware and hijacked...that is the last time I will register something online). My husband downloaded Microsoft streets and trips (evaluation version). Besides that, since this problem on 2/1/05 we have collected Panda Titanium AntiVirus, Spyware Doctor, Spyware Guard, Registry Mechanic, AdAware SE & Spy Bot all of which I purchased since the Logitech installation. Yes, this is over kill. If I could get spyware blaster to update, I could get rid of some of these.

I hope I have answered your questions and thanks for your willingness to help.

Sincerely, Jessie

16. javacool

Hi,

I believe there was a thread elsewhere about someone having problems with one of Panda AntiVirus' new features and SpywareBlaster.

EDIT: Ah, here's the thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=65123

As far as I'm aware, they fixed the conflict in a newer release of their product - so would you mind checking their site (or e-mailing their support department) for a newer version and trying that out (to see if it allows you to set protection in SpywareBlaster)?

Thanks,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.