Spyware Blaster as compared to others

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by rstars, Nov 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstars

rstars Registered Member

;) I downloaded Spyware Blaster about a couple of months ago and I thought that it was deleting/destroying all the of the spy software on my computer. Well, nearly all anyway, which you are famous for doing. So I just thought that I would download another spyware Remover software to see what, if anything I had on my computer and one software said I had 4 on it and another one said I had 2 and another one said I had 40 spyware/ tracking devices on my computer and the 1st two wouldn't delete it untill I paid for it!!! The last one called TZ Spyware - Adware Remover was the one that found 40! It deleted them all. My question is WHY Spyware Blaster is Not Finding AND deleting at Least 38 or even 39 of those spyware off of my computer and Why do they say that they can delete nearly all the spyware and I turn around and find that there are 40!!! spyware/track ware, on my Computer?? :p

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi rstars,

SpywareBlaster (link to its homepage) does not scan or clean spyware at all. It is a preventative anti-spyware tool. It sets flags in the Windows registry that prevent known ActiveX based spyware items from either downloading on to your system or from running if they are already loaded on your system. Also, for users of IE6 it prevents a specific list of spyware tracking cookies.

But this is all SpywareBlaster does. If you want a good companion scanner to use on a weekly basis to clean spyware that is not prevented by SpywareBlaster, you can use the free product Spybot S&D (link to its site). It is a scanner and cleaner, one of the best available and it is free. No purchase is needed to clean the things it finds though they would appreciate donations if you find the program helpful.

Javacool does produce another preventative anti-spyware program, as well. SpywareGuard (link to its homepage) is a real-time monitor that scans installer programs before they run for spyware similar to how an anti-virus scans programs for viruses, just for spyware. It also has a download protection module and a browser hijack protector.

3. sig

sig Registered Member

SpywareBlaster is not a spyware detector/remover. It puts killbits in to prevent certain spyware installed via ActiveX from being installed. Thus it helps in certain circumstances but doesn't prevent every possible spyware apps from being installed. Also, ideally it should be put on an already clean PC. That's explained on the software's site: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

SpywareGuard is another product to assist in preventing spyware from being installed on your PC. http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareguard.html

But to check a PC for spyware and remove it those products most often recommended are Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware. Both are free (although Adaware also has a payware version).

Edited to add, while I dawdled LWM was quick to assist as usual. ;)

4. hoho

hoho Registered Member

Ya thats why I like this program alot it prevents it like I got a good spyware program(spysweeper) it gets it all unlike ad-ware were I swear it does not do it job well sometimes I scanned like 5 times it said it removed it but I kept on scanning it and it find the same ones over and over then when it said it had finally gotten rid of it.

I would check with another program it find even more. But the thing with spysweeper is that I would go to this sites for some stuff and eveytime you hit the download button it would put all the spyware on my computer and every time I would have to go and scan it my computer to get rid of it all.

Now I can skip that and if I ever find something what is not protected by this I can just add it. I just can not belive how good this program is for being freeware. I have not tryed out their scanner since I like spysweeper but you should try that out or just go and find spysweeper and dl it.

5. rstars

rstars Registered Member

Hello there LowWaterMark!
    Now I see what Spyware Blaster Really does. Thank you Very Much for sharing that with me! Now I see the difference. It has been awhile since I downloaded it and I never thought to go back to downloads.com to reread what it really does.
    I actually used Spybot S&D and then I downloaded another software that searched for spyware and it found more then Spybot did!! So I wasn't all that impressed with it. Maybe I didn't go get the updates regularly...I think I'll download it again. Yes, when I get extra money, I'm going to send donations in. That'll be Good.
    Yes, I downloaded SpyWare Guard and just what I was Looking 4 - a program that was a brower hijack protector!!!
    So I want to thank you Very MUCH for helping me out about this. That was Very Thoughtfull of you...and thanx for writing me back so fast. I was going to write you back right away, but got Pretty Busy!! Bye 4 now... :D
    Oh, another thing, I can't see how to Reply to an individual message. Like for instance if I just want to Reply just to One person...how do I go about doing that? I don't see a button underneath every persons Message to click on it to reply to him/her.
    On other chat forums you can do that. That is why I am replying to everyone's individual messages In this ONE message of mine. I probably can't just see it...I Love your Halloween picture; its Cute, :cool:

Hi Sig,
    Now I see that it only gets rid of certain spyware! Your right it doesn't try to get rid of nearly all of the spyware.
    As explained above I downloaded Spyware Guard and so far so Good. I love the browser hijacker protection...I was looking for something like that for a Long time...Thank you 4 advising me about these things!! I tried Adaware and didn't like it. Also tried SpyBot. Read above what I said about it, if U like...I Appreciate your comments to me...yes, I Agree LWM is Fast to respond, but if you have quite a Lot of things to do sometimes, its impossible to Reply quickly! :rolleyes:

Hi HoHo,
    I LoVe your ho ho username...its just the Right thing to use to lift people's Spirit!! :D Yes, your Right Ad-aware doesn't do a Good job. I don't think so anyway. Maybe their paid version does. Thats Not good to have to use it over and over again! OH, Excellent...I think I have heard of it...if it is that Good I will go and get it and dl it soon...
    :cool: thanks a Lot for your time and writing to me about spysweeper, etc. - that was Good of you...I appreciated that! See you all again. Thats Neat putting dl for download. For ages and ages I couldn't figure out what lol meant, then Suddenly it dawned on me what it was - l must mean laugh... :D - I never had time to go and chat anymore and never got a chance to ask anyone, what it meant. But after that, I just know what abbreviations mean, without asking. It just comes Natural after awhile!
    rstars

6. JayK

JayK Poster

What we really need is have a sticky post which describes the differences in function between Spywareblaster, spywareguard and Spybot/ad-aware.

There is a lot of confusion.

Also it would be good to mention which of the functions work in IE, and which wouldnt work in alternative browsers.

7. entropysoda

entropysoda Guest

"Also it would be good to mention which of the functions work in IE, and which wouldnt work in alternative browsers."

I agree, I use Mozilla Firebird, and I installed SpywareBlaster, but I'm not sure what protections are not in effect, since I'm not using IE.

Anyone know?

8. rstars

rstars Registered Member

I laughed when you said sticky post, thats neat. :D I don't usually go into chat rooms or forums much! Ur - JayK are funny...I know that really is one of the ways people say about a post.
    Thats what I was thinking 2, was to have a post about all that spyware together. Actually, I think I saw one awhile ago in the Forums. I'm sure that LWM will put one in if there really is a need. I'm going back through the posts and see if there is one. You can do the same if you want... ;)
    I was confused about all the features too. Then when I downloaded Spyware Guard that was Good and then went looking for another software and I find that in a few softwares they put cookie deleters and other things they want. So you get different software doing the same thing, 4 example: deleting cookies, etc. - that would mean that cookie deleters(cookie deleters that are put on a specific software) are working against each other to erase your tracks(there working at the same time). Thats no good.
    They should have an anti-software - have a anti-spyware and have an eraser of all your files that would be Unrecoverable...you find that one company gets rid of a bit of spyware and then anther company gets rid of other types of spyware, etc. etc. I Mean REALLY! The anti-spyware should delete all or as much as possible the spyware thats on ones computer!
    In the beginning the people who made the computers could have made it secure and have almost all of the above software on the computer and we Wouldn't be Wasting OUR TIME trying and buying some of the software! As you grow older you Really Don't want to be sitting in front of the computer and Not doing something you really want to do, but U "have" to get the computer work done!
    Yes, they should say what works in each browser. A few of them do.
    "I agree, I use Mozilla Firebird, and I installed SpywareBlaster, but I'm not sure what protections are not in effect, since I'm not using IE."
    When I download Mozilla I should check it out. U should go to the Main(Home Page) Forum page and create your own Heading Topic or put your question in one of the Headings that really do talk about the features of SwBlaster...Sorry, I can't tell you. Or you could just email LowWaterMark... ;)

9. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello rstars and welcome to Wilders Security Forums

Most people (whether they realize it or not) desire just one programme to accomplish many security/privacy tasks. What they want is one program to be an effective:

Firewall
    Anti-Virus
    Anti-Trojan
    Anti-Worm
    Anti-Spyware
    Privacy Protector and
    Browser Protector

It would truly be quite a programme and perhaps one day we shall have such a wonder. Meanwhile - if we are fully layered then we shall have the best opportunity to withstand every threat to our computer.

Best wishes and keep posting

10. hoho

hoho Registered Member

Sorry Rstar is it was a bit confusing but I did not have time to look it over and check over for spelling mistakes and that stuff.

But anways another thing you should know about spysweeper is that you should get the full version with a subscribtion activated other wise you will get a anoying message going plz pay us money(for updates) or we will keep making this put up.

snipped - Admin note: Don't offer to provide your key to other people to bypass the licensing and purchasing requirements of software packages. This is not allowed here.

also I hope I did not break any rules by saying about dling stuff(I know how some sites are about those kind of things)

Yeah, it is against the rules here, too. ;) Thanks for not doing this again. - LWM

ps. Happy you liked my name :D

Attached Files:

11. rstars

rstars Registered Member

Hello QSection,
    Your 'name' reminds me of a man who was on Star Trek. Really neat...
    Your Right people sooner or later want a program that does all or nearly all of the things that they want on their computers. Even if they put it all on 2-5 programs(software).Yes, sooner or later they will realize that they should have made the computer 100% Safe in the first place. How much we would have saved in $$$ and time Looking for them.
    Thank you for Welcoming me on this Forum!

Best wishes 2 you to...yes, I will try to keep posting from time to time.

12. Shaitan

Shaitan Registered Member

I am pretty happy with Spyware Blaster. Where usually I`d have between 10 and 40 ad-aware scan finds, ... when Spyware Blaster is updated, I now find only bout 5 to 8. And surprisingly, I seem to no longer get Red Sherriff comin g up in ad-aware any more. Spyware Blaster was one of the coolest finds I have had.

13. subratam

subratam Registered Member

no doubt spywareblaster is a good utility to keep in one's security kit... it enhances protection by using kill bits... nice and innovative way to stop permanent stoppage of spyware

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.