spyware blaster and pest patrol

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by kevm, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevm

kevm Registered Member

Hello,

I am looking for some education as well as I think that I may have uncovered something. One of three things is happening to me. Either Computer Associates pest patrol 5 is much better at detecting pests then spybot s and D and Adaware SE, or Pest Patrol 5 calls a lot of false positives, or finally there might be an interraction with Spyware blasters blocking of registry keys and Pest Patrol 5's detection.

Pest patrol 5 finds a number of pests that Spybot S and D and add aware SE do not
    bonzi buddy / groakster / actual names / system spy / fake cd 99 / system soap pro / and Ezula top text are among them.

I have sent a recent log to Computer associates tech support and they were extreamly responsive. I told them that I looked for the referenced files listed on their web site for the detected pests and did not find them on my system.

They told me that they believed them to be false positives.

Does anyone have experience with CA pest patrol 5 and false positives or an interation with spyware blaster.

I would like to hear your experiences. I dont want to ignore these detections if they are real, but I believe that they are false.

Thanks

Kev

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Numerous cleaning programs have False positives from time to time and Pest Patrol(PP) is no different. While it is getting better with it's False Positives....it has been very prone in the past to have quite a few FP's.

Having said that....unless you can show us the locations PP is flagging it's impossible to know for certain.

If PP flags the below locations in the registry....it's almost certain they are false positives.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hello

If you detect a registry value with Pest Patrol and suspect it might by because of the active-x killbit from spyware blaster, maybe if you don't remove it for the time being and go to spywareblaster and disable that one protection, then run pest patrol again and it is not detected, that would tell you it was a false positive...would that work?

Bubba, you've helped me on this before, and that prompted me to run a search within RegEdit and I thought it might be interesting to view a spywareblaster blocker...a definite false alarm

- HandsOff

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.