Spyware Blaster 3.4 won't update in Win 98SE

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Island_Boy_77, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Island_Boy_77

Island_Boy_77 Registered Member

Hi All
    I've been using Spyware Blaster since 2.something, and have been very happy with it. I am a computer reseller / builder / VAR in New Zealand, and install SB on most of my client's computers. I have just put together an old P200MMX system as a cheap "1st computer" for a client. I managed to get SB 3.4 to install (after downloading the necessary DLL from the web), but it refuses to update. The computer has SyGate Firewall (as do all the computers I do installs on... :D ), and access has been set to "Allow" for SB. However, even Exiting the Firewall still yields the same result: SB sits there for a minute or so, then reports the good old "can't update" message. Interestingly, after that, no other programs can access the net either, which I'm sure is significant, but I can't think in what way. A restart "clears" the problem, but I still can't update the program. Surely there must be a way around this. Please help! o_O
    Thanks

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Since there is more than one message that can be displayed....would you post what the message actually says Please.

4. Island_Boy_77

snowbound - no, I can only get 2 of the 5 items to download. The other 3 simply open a web page with heaps of data on it (am I supposed to copy and paste that data into a text file?)

Bubba - after installing vbrun sp6 and mscomctl.ocx, still no joy. I exited my firewall (sygate 5.5) and anti virus (avast) and got this message after trying an update:

Error connecting to update server

There was an error getting the update information file from the
    server. The server may be temporarily unavailable, or there may
    be a conflict with firewall software installed on your pc. The
    update information file may have also gotten corrupted during
    download.

Please try again soon.

As per my original message, after the failure, I can no longer connect to the internet and am forced to do a restart. I also tried the "suggested" alternative method of deleting the 5 files manually from the Program Files Sygate folder, then selecting "Alternative Method" for the update. This yields the same result.

How hard can this be to sort? It is a really "dumb" and "stupid" error... :mad:

5. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

On the manual download links, did you try right click on the link, click save as?

6. Island_Boy_77

I will try that right click on the link thing and see what happens. But even if that works, why on earth would trying to update kill the internet connection? I use an ADSL link thru a 10-baseT ethernet card (the machine is pretty old - P200MMX with 64MB RAM), so obviously something is going awry when the update tries to happen. I've noticed this same problem on a PIII 450 with Win 98SE as well: in the end, I simply took Spyware Blaster off the computer and left it alone. I am about to do the same with this one if I can't get the autoupdates to work (as the computer will be being used by a "newbie" who is bound to break it if I try to get them into manual updates).

Any more thoughts, please? o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.