Spyware Blaster 1 year subscription worth it?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by help please, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. help please

help please Registered Member

Hi,
    my first posting; I don't know much about this.
    I bought the one year automatic update subscription to Spyware blaster.

Yet, I just read somether that the "only way to remove spyware from your computer is to use software designed for that purpose. The following two programs are well regarded by computer professionals:
    Ad-Aware from Lavasoft.com Lavasoft.com
    Spybot S&D (for Search & Destroy) Spybot.com"

so why isn't Spyware Blaster included in the above list!!??
    and the two mentioned above are free!!
    should I switch?

does Spyware Blaster do anything those two don't?
    which is best?
    I don't mind paying if I'm getting something....that's worth it....:rolleyes:

2. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Start to use SUPERAntiSpyware Free or Paid. If you paid then you can use realtime protection too but it's not a must have.

What is your other setup? IMO Ad-Aware, Spybot or SpywareBlaster aren't the best ones.

You don't need to use specific program to remove AS, AM, AT and so on. There is othet ways too.

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

SpywareBlaster is a preventative program. So it does not clean up something after the fact. IMO, it still has some value because it's main function targets ActiveX exploits for Microsoft's Internet Explorer. And Internet Explorer still has potential infection issues with bad ActiveX.

IMO, Ad-Aware is worthless. I do not recommend it at all. Spybot is better but is still not as good of a tool as it once was.

I agree with MikeNAS. Look over SUPERAntiSpyware. It has teeth... :D

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Like HAN said, Spyware Blaster is a preventative program. It immunizes your system from known spyware. You could have updated it yourself manually, but then again you are helping to support the project.

When your looking at paid and free anti-spyware/anti-malware/anti-virus programs, it's important to note if they are just on-demand scanners to detect and possibly remove malware or if they provide real-time/active detection that is protecting as well as doing on demand scans and removing malware.

Spybot and Ad-Aware are not the best. If you want a paid anti-spyware, SuperAntiSpyware looks very good and has good support. There paid version provides real-time protection, while the free version does on-demand scans and cleanup only.

I hope your running a real-time AV. If not, that should be your first step. There are good free one's available if you need them. AVG, Avast and Avira are all pretty good and they all have there pros and cons. A firewall and/or a router is a must too.

I hope this helps and welcome to Wilders :)

5. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Maybe computer pros from 3 years ago, but a lot has changed over the years and they both have inadequate detection/removal capabilities.

As pointed out, Spyware Blaster is more of a prevention tool. SUPERAntiSpyware (SAS), AVGAS, and a-squared offer both free and pay versions, so you may want to consider trying all of them out before making a purchase.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I never really understood it, isn´t it true that when running in limited mode, the browser can´t even install activex controls? So do we really need to set these killbits? Will it stop malware even when you´re installing the spyware manually?

7. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

With the Killbit you won't even be offered the malware, so you can't install it manually. In any case, known bad sites are also placed in the Restricted Sites Zone so they can do little to harm you, should you find yourself at such a site (in practice though, you will rarely end up at one of these sites if you are of temperate habits).

8. help please

wow! I just posted this yesterday and already I received all these great responses! what a forum!!

I will definitely check out SUPER AntiSpyware

I currently use IE (I know, everyone says use firefox; but I'm going to continue to use this; I'm used to it)

and I have a router

and I use the paid Mcafee (so I guess it's "real time"; I really don't know much about it; it's always in the lower right corner and seems to do it's job!)

so based on the above (oh, and I don't do games or music):

can I stop using spyware blaster (which appears to be just preventative) and just use SuperAntiSpyware? (along with router and mcafee of course)

is SAS "real time"; or just another preventative thing?

and if I just don't want to worry or think about it, should I just pay the $30 to sas (it looks like?) and let it do its thing?

thanks again!

:doubt:

9. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

The paid McAfee will be either an AV, or a suite that includes an AV. Won't know without a program version no. or description.
    SAS paid is a realtime (resident) an unpaid is a demand scanner.
    IMO there is nothing wrong with keeping SpywareBlaster as it doesn't use any resource, will have a virtually undetectable effect on browsing speed, and reduces the security permissions in IE for known bad sites. Worthwhile. (That's a different function to your resident AV or AS programs, they won't change browser permissions, but will (hopefully) intercept and stop any "baddies" trying to install or run.)
    So it's another layer, one which doesn't cost much.

10. help please

I have version 12.0 mcafee; latest; the "suite"

it has the security center: (virus protection; spyware protection; system guards; windows protection; and pc health)

it has email and IM protection: (email virus protection; email spyware protection; i.m. protection; but no spam protection; I think I didn't pay the extra for that)

it has internet and network protection (firewall; safe surfing; but no identity protetion; I think I didn't buy that either)

lastly, it has parental controls

SO, with all this do I really even need to get this SAS thing? paid or unpaid?

also, I don't know what you mean when you say:
    "That's a different function to your resident AV or AS programs, they won't change browser permissions, but will (hopefully) intercept and stop any "baddies" trying to install or run.)So it's another layer, one which doesn't cost much."

thanks! :rolleyes:

11. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Nothing wrong with a second opinion.
    Especially if it's free. :)

12. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Spyware Blaster uses a black list to prevent malware from affecting your browser when you attempt to go to certain websites. You can view this list if you click on the program window options. In my program, there is a list for for IE and another for Firefox. I think the paid version will perform automatic updates and not sure of what else.

McAfee programs have progressed from the pure AV program that I used for many years. They added other things to it and I am not sure that they sell the pure AV program by itself anymore.

Spybot and Ad-aware are among the first antimalware programs that were developed. They did have a good reputation back a few years ago. I don't perform malware tests so I can't confirm if they are still the best or not. SAS has developed into a pretty good antimalware application in the past year. When I first heard about it in 2006 and then tried it out, the tech support person told me to remove it since he had never heard of it before and that it might be a rogue application.

13. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I think everyone has summed it up very well, and there's not much more I could add.

IMHO an extra layer of protection wich has ZERO impact on resource usage (it just sets the kill-bit and after you close it it doesn't keep running), is always worth it, specially if you're no expert (wich most of us aren't), so SpywareBlaster is a great addition.

Welcome to Wilders by the way, I hope you stay and learn a lot.:thumb: :thumb:

Oh, and it is a good idea try software (most have fully functional trial versions), see if it fits good your system and try to fully understand what a software does before buying.

14. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

My knowledge is also a bit limited by lack of experience, so I apologize if that seemed (or the following seems/is) a clumsy or inept description.
    In the browser program, under "Tools> Internet options", the second tab is "security". There are 4 zones, trusted through to restricted. What is permitted in terms of various applications permitted to run in each zone, by the browser, is different from zone to zone. (And rightly so. You wouldn't want to find yourself at a rather dodgy site, however you got there, and not have the browser prompt you for permission for an add-on/activex control to be installed. In fact, my browser is set to prompt whatever the zone.)
    SpywareBlaster enforces restricted permissions across known bad sites. (Dozens, possibly thousands of these are created daily; hence the necessity for updates.)
    In fact, if I remember correctly, it may actually prevent some sites from loading at all.
    Most AV's don't necessarily do that (there are exceptions, and I'm not experienced in many AV's, but Avast has a webshield, for example, that functions a little like this, for threats detected in advance, and blocks the page loading). Nor do most AS's. (That's antispywares, not asses.) They scan each component of what's downloading, and/or attempting to run, against preset behaviour patterns (heuristics) or known bad programs (definitions) and block that process, with an associated warning.
    Please do ask if that's not clear, if someone else doesn't better address the q, I'll have another go.
    [Edit..added] So in summary, I'd keep SpywwareBlaster. Configure it to auto update. It updates about every week. And Superantispyware is a keeper, too. It is generally bug-free, and I've heard of it removing stuff that has other programs stumped.You should open it and check for updates at least weekly; scan with it if ever your computer starts to behave strangely...slows down, goes to unexpected sites, firewall pops outbound warnings for unexplained processes. Otherwise every week or two (or three...) Very capable application. Should you ever actually get a nasty, this second demand scanner may well end up being the main clean up utility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.