spysweeper or spyware doctor which is lighter

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by anderb, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anderb

anderb Registered Member

Hello friends I´ve heard these two softwares are the best but which is lighter?
    Thanks for your help:)

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

3. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Registered Member

I recommend Spy Sweeper over Spy Doctor. It loads much faster and scans faster than Spy Doctor. I have had no problems with it at all. In addition PC Tools which supplies Spy Doctor sets you up for automatic renewal by default when you purchase a product from them so you must be very careful when buying anything from them.

4. fax

fax Registered Member

Thank you for the link, very interesting reading... I wonder what is the situation now at webroot.... :blink:

Fax

5. besafe

besafe Registered Member

Although both products offer many active protections and have excellent detection rates:

1. Spysweeper is just bloated. Slowed down my PC too much.

2. Spyware Doctor gives MANY false positives. So don't install unless you like being scared once a month with a false alarm. I believe it's active protection is superior to Webroot. It's detection rate is solid. The last version 4 of SD ran pretty good on my PC, lighter than Webroot. But version 5 had many issues. PC Tools released what should have been kept in beta.

I actually wouldn't install either. If you can pay for something, I think one of the best programs going right now is DefenseWall. Combine that with SAS (Superantispyware) free for on demand scanning and you have top notch spyware protection.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i agree with the reccomendation of besafe use superantispyware free version as on demand.
    in addition to that i would reccomend a alternate browser such as opera of firefox.
    i wonder what the current situation of webroot is as well.
    since i dont like it no more and i need a good reason to tell my dad so we can ditch it.
    my main antispyware app is superantispyware pro
    lodore

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I have some questions for you? What is your present configuration of H/W and S/W. Otherwise all you will get is opinions.

Lighter is hard to define. For me some application that takes 50% of my CPU cycles would be huge or heavy. Other users think that anything more than 1% is heavy.

I don't know what others here have if they use either so that is always an issue when reading or using posts. I did have SpyWare Doctor a year or so ago and with some reluctance switched to SS. I wanted (at the time) the better detection and removal powers it had and the key logger removal features. It's online shield were better. Since then it added an AV which is the not the best around and that weighs it down more! Anyway, on my PC SS 5.3 takes 39,884K and about 0.5% when scan not running. So for me that is not heavy.

Now I understand the doctor has improved a lot. But you wouldn't want to have both. The reason I asked you what you have now security wise is it is possible to have conflicts between packages.

Do you have an AV? What are you using for ASW and a FW now? Are you using a suite?

It's best to design your layered defense carefully based on your surfing habits and to use "weight" only as a tie breaker between equal alternatives.

SS is now the slowest loading item on my PC. But that only happens 1/day so it doesn't matter.:cool: Spyware doctor was slow as well but that is dated information.

Why not trial both on you machine but NOT at the same time?

Hope this helps you

8. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

For the people who dont know it, a new beta for SS is out (5.5) , with much more improvements

9. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Hello!

There are lot of other programs that are better and lighter. I have personally used Spysweeper and it slowed my computer too much, but it offered good protection. So if i had to choose between two of them i would go with SS.

I would say that look around in this forum and you will find lots of information about all kinds security programs. Some of them are free so you could save some money. Also you can try almost every program before you buy. End of the day it comes down to what you like and what suites your computer!

Good luck!

Kristian

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i didnt know about that.
    but better does that mean better dection aka with more bloat.
    or does it mean more features but also light and more stable?
    lodore

11. Martijn2

5.5 has alot of improvements to the different shields. I cant compare the stability, because this is a new computer, but it's stable here... no system slowdown, low CPU and lower RAM usage as far as i can see

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

is it a public beta or a private beta?
    if its public can i have a link to sign up?
    lodore

13. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Hope it's a public beta. Want to check it out :D

14. Martijn2

15. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

They have good detection rates but if you use them for anything but on-demand you will grow to despise them. I would recommend SUPERAntiSpyware and AVG Anti-Spyware instead.

If you insist on using Spyware Doctor go download a custom Google Pack and get the free (starter) version.

http://pack.google.com/intl/en/product_info.html?sd

16. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I used to use SWD 4 but it slowed my machine down. With the release of SWD 5 I tried it again and couldn't be happier. I do agree that its initial release should have been kept in beta though. The forum complaints went down w/ the release of ver186

...screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.