Spysweeper 5 woes:

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SG1, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Tried many times, installing/uninstalling/running registry cleaners, re Spysweeper 5.0 and to no avail thus far. * See screencap.

I can still, however, update the "damaged" app & it then goes from 5 Shields to 13, the correct no., I think. Then, the program's fine til next reboot, and I then repeat cycle, starting w/notice of "the app is damaged," updating, and it's ok, etc.

Am waiting to hear from the co. on this, but I know there's many sharp cookies here who may have some ideas on what's wrong with this installation.

* Did have it running OK for a short while: seem to recall that in Tsk Mgr. there was 3 Processes-total shown when SS was running? Have 1 maybe 2 tops, showing now and I think therein lies the trouble?

(XP PRO, SP2, all patches; signed in as Admin). * Yup, uninstalled old ver. of SS first.

Thanks for ideas on this, SG1 (Pat)
    -----------------------------------
    PS - Had unchecked Favorites shield in 5.0 as in the last ver., having it checked made SS really slow to load; how is new ver., in that respect?

Attached Files:

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I remembered that I got this error in one of the betas of Spy Sweeper 5.0. This error occurred to me when the installer is unable to register the service "Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine" in Services in the registry. Spy Sweeper needs this service for running, and if this service cannot be registered, it will prompt you the damged installation pop up.

Since you can see services running in Task Manager, I suppose the services are running properly, but there should be only 2 services for 5.0: SpySweeper.exe and SpySweeperUI.exe. "WRSSSDK.exe" is for 4.5 only, and since you saw 3 process for SpySweeper, I wonder if the service for 4.5 is still running.

I can also see that there is an error writing to the registry for the SpySweeper value. Do you have other security software running while installing SpySweeper 5.0? This may prevent SpySweeper from writing properly to the registry.

All these error may trigger the damaged installation error pop up. Try to close all other security software running in the background before installing SpySweeper and see if this will correct the problem. ;)

3. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Chubb;

Yup, thanks for help/info: dipstick here in another "pilot error" tragedy likely >>> had not disabled PG <<< and I think that was the snafu tho' I do not have the one box checked for PG to block new/changed apps.

OR, even if killing off the security programs, perhaps their processes ran in the background and had a combined whoa-stop message at the gate, re many attempts at installing SS.

Odd... I have installed lotta' stuff, and at worst, PG would ask about it. Got me, but for now SS seems okay; will see at next reboot if all is still well.

Many thanks for your kind help. SG1 (Pat)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.