Spyshelter x64 vs Zemana x64

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by whitedragon551, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Well after doing a quick test Zemana x64 is practically useless. It states that all modules (Keylogger, Screenlogger, Webcamlogger, Clipboardlogger) are all enabled and protecting. However running Spyshelters antitest tool reveals that Zemana doesnt warn about a single test. I am able to log keystrokes, webcam, screenshots, get clipboard copies, gain registry access, and grab sound clips without a single warning from Zemana.

Zemana doesnt even pass its own Clipboard logger test tool, keylogger test tool, screenshot test tool, or its own webcam test tool. It makes absolutely no peep what so ever.

http://pc-babble.blogspot.com/2010/11/spysheler-x64-premium-vs-zemana.html

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

useless and irresponsible to launch a x64 version that only runs to display a nice interface :thumbd: Zemana must have felt in disadvantage with many more strong x64 security software out and decided to launch this fake anti-keylogger.

3. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

I never said SpyShelter's support is bad or something like that, SpyShelter's support is terrific as well nor did I said Zemana is a superior product because of their support, I just made a remark on trjam's post.

4. guest

guest Guest

Well I can tell that the Spyshelter support is one of the most professionals that I have ever seen, explaining until the last technical detail of my questions.

I was testing Zemana x64 and was horrible, in every field spyshelter is a superior product, in fact the challenge is find something that Zemana is able to bock and spyshelter not. If you find something (I couldn't) report it to the spyshleter dev and in a few days you will have an update blocking this new thing.

My experience with Zemana support is that they use copy&paste answers.

5. whitedragon551

My challenge was to find something that Zemana even detected. :rolleyes:

6. guest

guest Guest

:D What I said is also valid for the 32 bit versions. But like you said Zemana x64 does not seems to be working very well on x64, or not working at all.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

man i wanted to try it but not sure anymore o_O i remember i tried zemana before and tested it was good;) but it was like a year ago:D

8. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

Well, you are definitely far more experienced than I am so you would know much better but whatever little experience I had with zemana's support, I didn't find it to be copy&paste.

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

wen it comes to the x64 version perhaps i agree, altho their own site states that only the antiSLL is working in Zemana x64, they shuld make that more clear in the interface instead of showing everything working and enabled

but on x86, i strongly disagree, from my own experience spyshelter is like a blind dog barking at every squeak ur computer makes, it has no intelligent differentiation between something malicious or safe, zemana at least has some sort of ability to differentiate that to an extent, Zemana on x86 is much more well rounded and solid program. i cant comment on support for either tho since i never needed it, but the program itself, Zemana is def better, and there are tests to show that the x86 of Zemana isnt a slouch, it can hold its own in tests while spyshelter i have yet to see be in any tests that i can remember.

10. whitedragon551

I was looking for some distinguishing FAQ's like what Sandboxie has going on for the x64 notes.

Its easy to pass a whitelist with a signed certificate and its even easier to steal a signed certificate. In these cases Zemana silently passes a malicious file where as the same instance Spyshelter would inquire about it. Seems that Spyshelter wins.

You also cant compare x86 Zemana to x86 Spyshelter if you have never seen a test.

11. guest

guest Guest

I was talking just about the x64 version I have never tried Zemana 32bit.
    If with Zemana you get less popups I think that is not because of the "intelligence" of the software maybe they just have a bigger whitelist or because Spyshelter detects more behaviours than Zemana. At least seems to me that Spyshelter is more in the HIPS side with all the Zemana features. Or maybe I'm wrong but this is the impression that I have. Right now Spyshelter is able to detect 47 suspicious behaviours.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Spyshelter is getting more into the hips bussiness:D

13. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

J although it looks like that but it offering better protection IMO

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is very nice indeed and the protected apps feature is very nice too:thumb:

15. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I will tell you whats amazing is the fact that Zemana is still on version 1! Their build history has been like 1.0.0.001, 1.0.0.002, 1.0.0.003 Lol

16. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I used Zemana in the past with 32 bit. How does Zemana hold up when compared to Spyshelter on 32 bit machines? I'm already aware of Zemana's limitations on 64 bit machines.

17. firzen771

well i agree that spyshelter is basically a full on HIPS, not really a simple Antikeylogger, itll provide u MULTIPLE popups for each action u wanna do lol, they really need to work on that...

18. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

FYI: Zemana's System-Defense module is also a full on HIPS (licensed from Sunbelt I think). It'll zap you with popups if you set the expert mode and select "ask for confirm" in all the settings. :D

-http://zemana.com/System.aspx-

19. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Given the choice between the 2 - I'll choose SpyShelter over Zemana. Why?

If you are a 64-bit user:
    1. SpyShelter has come out with a 64-bit version far earlier than Zemana. More time-tested so to say.
    2. SS 64-bit has more working features compared to Zemana 64-bit as of now.

Feature-set:
    3. SpyShelter and Zemana offers similar protection features/scope, except that SS offers an additional "Anti Sound logger" protection (for paid users).
    Zemana Antilogger Features
    SpyShelter Features

License/Payment:
    4. SS is a one-time off payment of 24.95 EUR without yearly fees. Zemana is subscription-ware, costs US $ 34.00 for a year's usage and would eventually cost a lot more in the long run seeing that you have to renew subscription.
    5. SS offers a free version (reduced features) for 32-bit users. There is no free version at all from Zemana; except for a few promotional giveaways which is again time-limited.

While waiting for SS dev to 'work on it', you have a few options at hand if you plan on using SS:

a) Build an initial white-list and then set it to auto-block suspicious behaviors.

b) Be 'selective' and choose to change the list of monitored actions. Un-check the ones you don't need to be alerted upon...

c) If you really do not fancy HIPS alerts, you can choose to un-check specific "System Protection" actions. Otherwise, if you really don't need HIPS at all, you can just turn off "System Protection" which works as the HIPS component in SS.

d) Use 'installer mode' (although that's almost as good as 'disabling the protection' for a temporary period). Use this for installers that you fully trust.

SS can be configured into a very 'silent' anti-logger software. I've hardly seen any pop-ups from SS.

P.S. I'm on 32-bit platform. Using SS 'free'.

20. guest

guest Guest

You can disable the System protection module so you will not need to answer most of the HIPS popups. Spyshelter has more popups because protects against more things than Zemana if you want less protection/popups you can manually disable some of the 47 behaviours or an entire protection module. Also I think that Zemana is targeting different kind of clients.

21. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

interesting thread hahah

welp i also install zemana x 64 and wounder why nothing of it protection works:eek:
    after reading in here i quickly understand Zemana deliver total useless X64 protection

hope in that case they can sell it 90% discount :argh: even than i wont put a finger on that crap :thumbd:

cheers :)

22. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Zemana does more whitelisting and automatically allowing programs resulting in a bit lower security but less pop-ups, while Spyshelter is more the opposite, but Zemana can be configured to do the opposite and Spyshelter too I think.

Zemana has anti-sound logger protection as a part of the Webcam logger protecion module.

I am just testing both in a VM and noticed that both assign a number to a type of behaviour in the pop-ups and logs. Done some limited testing and the highest number I've seen with Zemana so far is 42, so it would seems that Zemana can detect about the same number of suspicious behaviours.

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?NotesAbout64BitEdition

There is a test which includes both Spyshelter and Zemana from MRG, but it's not really suitable to show which has better protection, but still interesting:
    http://malwareresearchgroup.com/wp-...king-Browser-Security-Project-June-201013.zip

23. whitedragon551

That test doesnt really hold any value. Outdated versions from before Zemana had an x64 version. x32 is way different than x64 due to the Windows KPP.

24. firzen771

ye its a pretty pointless test if ur looking at just their x64 versions, but i suppose someone wanting to see which they want on x86 could see some use in the test.

25. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I didn't realize that. Thanks;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.