Spyshelter Restricted Apps

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by bfriend, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bfriend

bfriend Registered Member

Hi,

Can any one please advise me on restricted apps module in Spyshelter. Does it work in a similar way as any sandboxie software. How far it is similar / different than bufferzone / GESwall / Sandboxie etc or does it offer an additional security layer?

Thanks

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

It runs those applications in a restricted user sandbox, you can define exceptions on disk access. So it is more the protection like limited user, only a bit more restricted. It is closer to GeSWall?AppGuard like protection

3. ChoiceVoice

ChoiceVoice Registered Member

ya, i've been playing with it a bit. it seems to `force field' the browser pretty good, but browser doesn't always like it. chrome occasionally crashes when i try to save a file. opera and chrome are slow to start and freeze frequently (albeit temporarily). when i start browsers, spyshelter tells me it stopped them from hooking something, perhaps if i configured it better it would run better. however, i have noticed no problems running windows live mail or vlc player as restricted. in the browsers, its not an huge inconvenience though, i find it about as annoying as bitdefender's traffic light. and it does offer the extra security you might need, depending on where you're surfing.

4. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

worst of all, flash didn't work.

5. smallhagrid

smallhagrid Registered Member

The included help file is rather clear about this part of it:
    "This features allows you to choose some application that you want to run with lower privileges. Applications running in restricted mode have limited access to system resources such as registry keys, files, webcam, microphone, keylogging, hooks installing, usual administrative tasks (such as stopping, registering, running services and drivers) and so on.

Other restrictions for applications running in restricted mode include:
    1) Registry hive HKLM are not writeable (access to other registry keys can be also limited).
    2) Restricted file access (as you can see in the appropriate Spyshelter tab).
    3) Restrictions on other system objects (based on system security settings).
    4) All dangerous actions are blocked automatically for applications running in restricted mode.
    5) Children of restricted processes are also restricted.

This mode can be used for running Web browsers, email clients, instant messangers, or any unknown program."

What IS quite vague is the differences (if any ??) between their free and premium versions...o_O?

6. ChoiceVoice

ChoiceVoice Registered Member

really? flash and all extensions work fine in mine. i've been monkeying with it some more now (I'm new to it), and I found I was crashing it when I tried to save in an unauthorized spot. now i know to save where it wants me too, and it works good. i'm not noticing browser drag anymore (me bad, i was playing with some other things that might have caused that, and since uninstalled).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.