spyshelter+privatefirewall=the best !!!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by stvs, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

No ,i m just saying it has some limits ,thats why it s free.
    No full loging ,no loopback interception and no IP control in the aplication rules are issues for me personally ,but this doesnt mean it s a crap firewall.

2. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Fair enough. I think I'll stick with it for a while since it plays nice with DefenseWall.

3. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Anybody have any info to share regarding the questions raised in the quoted text?
    Thanks in advance. :thumb:

4. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I am using this thread as those I would have used are now closed.

My view has always been that there is no better place on the web than Wilders if you have a problem and I have said it many times. So many very knowledgeable people are members of this Forum.

SPYSHELTER and AVG 2011.
    I have just completed a Rootkit scan by AVG and 89 Spyshelter Rootkits
    are listed as threats.

Now, I am convinced that SS is totally secure and trustworthy, so what does this mean ? What should I do ?

I would be very grateful for your detailed comments.
    Thank you
    John

They look like this :-
    SS - AVG Rootkits.JPG

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  5. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Looks like the hooks that Spyshelter uses to protect from the various types of keyloggers.

6. John Bull

I suppose you must be correct WD, kind of authentic and necessary security Hooks that AVG are classifying as Rootkits, but 89 is very daunting.

I have looked to see how to contact AVG and send them the list so they can correct these false positives, but failed. Getting in touch with AVG by Email is harder than getting hold of Osama Bin Laden`s mobile number.

John :argh:

7. John Bull

Update ; 5 Feb.11

I contacted the SS Help people and sent the full list of 89 Hooks to them. Told them I could not make any Email contact with AVG and asked if they would do so.

They have done this and confirm that all these AVG so-called Rootkits are definitely false positives. I presume AVG will now correct their program.

John

8. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

Private firewall for me is CRAPWARE. I installed it and let run with default settings. Guess what ? In hour or so my internet connection was dead and I had to deisntall this piece of crap and reboot computer. And guess what ? It was not enough - I had to reboot my router as well, only then I claimed my internet back. CRAPWARE.

9. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Now there's a well reasoned and informative post. :rolleyes:

I wonder why that doesn't seem to be the consensus of the (hundreds of?) others from these forums that have installed and used the firewall/HIPS combo?

Personally, (though I don't have it installed currently), I found it to be a very good program. My internet connection was lightning fast and totally reliable (with each version of Privatefirewall I had installed).

I suppose that issues will arise every now and again with any app and even if there was some connection to PF in this instance, (which certainly hasn't been demonstrated in the previous post), that would hardly constitute its being labeled crapware.

Of course, this is just my opinion and YMMV... (Were it me I'd shoot an email to Greg Salvato over at PF and get his take on the situation. Their customer service is lightning fast.)

10. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

we need Stem certified firewall!! :D

11. asr

asr Registered Member

I must disagree with your opinion. I have been running PF and spyshelter on my laptop for over a month now and its running flawless no issues whatsoever. The issue is with your pc or isp

12. John Bull

The trouble is with asking what is the best AV, AM or combination of system packages is that it is like asking what is the best car to buy. It is an impossible question to answer due to the infinitely variable combination of PC`s, versions of Windows and personal choice of programs, which all have a compatibility problem with other programs. The question is a Mission Impossible.

But, on a Forum where we get a variety of opinions, it is at least the best scenario of user information available, especially on Wilders where the expertise is as good as you can get.

So, you get a program condemned as utter crap by one person whilst the same program is voiced as immaculate by another. Well that is life and simply comes down to individual computer package and personal choice.

We just have to take comments as genuine for the person making them and then judge for ourselves whether the information and opinion is relative to our own PC package.

NO program is crap ! It is only crap when inserted into a PC combination that for some reason has a compatibility problem.

If one program held in Godly esteem by one person does not work for another, then make another choice.

Forum`s are great sites to get information, but that information varies from one individual to another dependent on the infinite variety of combinations. Nothing is simple, you just have to take what is offered and make your own mind up.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.