SpyShelter New Version 8.3

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by asr, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asr

asr Registered Member

To Our Members:
    Spy Shelter has come out with a new version 8.3. One of their new features is "Keystroke Encryption" As a license user I have been using this new version, and have found no problems so far. With that said here is a direct quote from their help file on this feature.
    ===========================================================
    Keystrokes Encryption driver encrypts your every keystroke. Additionally, this feature blocks other applications even from receiving those encrypted keystrokes. Typed keystrokes are sent via safe tunnel only to this application, on which your keyboard is focused. Keystroke encoding starts before logging into your Windows account - It's an independent solution. All of your important private information will be securely scrambled from the moment you start your PC and practically useless for various key loggers and dangerous applications.

As a note you can encrypt all processes.

My question to our members than is: KeyScramber as Zemmna Software which performs the same function to a degree would not be necessary, would you agree or disagree?? Your insight is always appreciated as usual.
    :)

2. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Is this true in the free version too, or just their premium version?

Update: It appears keystroke encryption is only offered with the premium and firewall versions. So anyone desiring keyboard encryption in a free product would be better off sticking with Zemana, or KeyScrambler

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  3. asr

asr Registered Member

I am sorry but Real time keystroke encryption is not available in the free version.

4. zip

zip Registered Member

I will stay with Privatefirewall.

5. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Hey Zip, did you finally get Privatefirewall to pass the stealth tests?

6. zip

zip Registered Member

No. I can't belive someone dosen't want to be stealthed.

7. zip

zip Registered Member

Back to topic. I wil go with Privatefirewall for it's Anti-logger (32/64 bit defense).

8. aztony

aztony Registered Member

As you probably know I also have Privatefirewall, but I complement it with Zemana free for keyboard encryption.

9. zip

zip Registered Member

Do they conflict?

10. aztony

aztony Registered Member

I've never had a conflict with either Zemana or KeyScrambler, which is what I had before Zemana. Only down side to KeyScrambler free is that it only protects in the browser, IE and FF. Whereas, Zemana free protects all your programs too.

11. zip

zip Registered Member

Thank you.

12. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

does ZEmana free slow down the computer usage?

13. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Not at all, and I have it running on both and XP and Win 7 desktops.

14. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

ok, thx

15. Yep on x32 use SpyShelter free (has a solid easy to use HIPS module), on x64 SpyShelter they are both paid with simular functionality/protection, difference is SpyShelter is lifetime and Zemana annual. The new 8.3 the GUI application uses less CPU time, pitty it is not enabled for ASLR. Encryption is only available on paid 64 bits versions (not on 32 bits)

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2013
  16. asr

asr Registered Member

I have sent a request for explanation on this issue of Address Space Layout. Randomization (ASLR) to SpyShelter support. Good point made will advise when I receive a reply. Thanks for the input.:)

17. asr

asr Registered Member

I received a reply from Spy Shelter support in regards to my question on Address Space Layout. Randomization (ASLR). His response: ASLR is useful for system services and network servers
    It is used to decrease chances on stack overflow attack

SpyShelter GUI:
    1) Is not service
    2) Is not network server
    3) There is no know issues that cause stack overflow in SpS
    4) Has self defense against remote code injection

There is NO danger here

* I had to edit as I was in error quoting his response. My apologize to spy-shelter support.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  18. Self defense :D It is a packed image executable. It is not a question of good or bad, merely that it is more eloquent for a security program to commit itself to security standards also.

In Holland we have a saying "The house of the painter needing a paint job itself, is not always a bad sign, he/she could also be very busy".

Let's be thankfull for the free 32 bits version and the imrpovements of the 8.3 version.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
  19. asr

asr Registered Member

===========================================================
    This is a additional reply from Spy Shelter support
    Quote:You can also answer to Windows_Security:

1) SpyShelter.exe is executed under regular User account and cannot give ability to others apps to increase own rights
    2) Win XP does not have this feature and that does not meant that you can break protection of every app
    3) If security software has stack overflow weakness malware can disable protection via secure app crash and ASLR will not help here
    4) Do you know stack attack on SpyShelter ? If not the discussion does not have big sense

I do not guarantee further replier as it seems not to make sense.

Regards,
    Bogdan

20. ichito

ichito Registered Member

It's interesting and useful thread...and even sometimes funny :D

21. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Has anyone else noticed that even though the check for updates option is disabled, SpyShelter Premium still attempts to connect approximately once per windows session?

I install a firewall to protect me from malicious programs connecting out and I have never needed it for that. As time goes on though I need it more and more for programs that I have paid good money for. Sigh. :thumbd:

Sandboxie's recurring activation prompts are a PITA, but at least Sandboxie is upfront about what they are doing. I never see attempts to connect without getting a licensing activation prompt first (and it also doesn't happen on a daily basis). I wish more developers would follow this model.

22. When you are proud of your new car, you don't hear the compliments when some says "it would be better when the radio antenna was hidden" :p

There is no misunderstanding about the radio being fully operational with an XP like antenna, there is even applause for the improvements of this new model. So agree on further discussion having no sense :D

PS. see my sig

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
  23. Nizarawi

Nizarawi Registered Member

just to know there is no keyencryption for 32 bit on spyshelter yet
    just for 64bit
    read the help file from the program

24. guest

guest Guest

coming soon for x86 system.

25. pablozi

pablozi Registered Member

I hope that they don't use Comodo's "soon" definition :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.