SpyShelter Firewall questions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by buckshee, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

A couple of days ago I installed SpyShelter Firewall and so far I really like it but then I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to firewalls.
    I did notice after installation that the Windows 7 firewall was still on and I am confuswed as to whether this is correct as SpyShelter FW seems to work okay with the Win 7 FW turned off. Does SpyShelter Firewall replace the Windows 7 firewall or does it use it by enhancing it.

Any positive or negative comments would be appreciatted about this firewall. It certainly doesn't slow down my computer. I have it set for `Auto Allow - Medium security"

Thanks .

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I'll let the experts help you with your other questions but you should only have one firewall active at a time.

Close the Windows FW while using SpyShelter's firewall.

3. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

I asked the developer the same question. They told me that it was my choice because the SpyShelter FW was designed to work alongside Windows FW.

4. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I knew I should have kept my mouth shut. :oops:

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Good to know. :thumb:

6. buckslayr

No problem. I didn't know either, that's why I emailed them to ask. So far I haven't noticed any conflict between the two.

7. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

The CfosSpeed Firewall, Avast Firewall and SpyShelter Firewall work in conjunction of Windows Firewall.

Those which don't work in conjunction of Windows Firewall, during installation they automatically turn off the Windows Firewall.

Best regards,

KOR!

8. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

Unfortunately, they don't work together at all. If you set Windows firewall to require rules for outbound connections, then run an application - say firefox - for which no rule exists, you'll get an alert or two from Spyshelter, but when you try to connect, it will be blocked.

Conversely, if you allow oubound connections in Windows firewall, but create an explicit block rule for an application, it has no effect. Spyshelter creates it's own rules and overrides those of the Windows firewall.

I'd say, if you want to use this firewall, disable Windows firewall first. Running two firewalls together is really quite silly.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  9. buckshee

I can't believe how bad their support is - despite their hype. I emailed spyshelter support twice over 10 days and got no replies. I sent them a pricing inquire asking if their price had VAT included as I live in Nth America and should be exempt. Instead of telling me they refered me to Pllimus who have no apparent method for asking a presales question. I told SpyShelter this, they didn't bother replying to that either. Hummm

I like their firewall but I think I will buy some-one elses if I can't rely on support from these guys

10. buckslayr

That's really too bad. I've had nothing but great response from the developer. They were prompt with pricing questions as well as technical support. Don't give up on them!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  11. buckshee

That company is unbelievable - they gave a useless answer to one email of 6. I'm not bothering with them any more. Hate to think what would happen if I bought their software and had a problem. I'll buy elsewhere

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.