SpyShelter-FireFox problem

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dark Star 72, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

I am running SpyShelter Premium v6 again after 6 months or so and cannot get Firefox to run if I have it as a "Restricted App". I have my PDF reader etc as Resticted Apps and they run OK. I am also running Sandboxie with all internet facing apps sandboxed and only have a problem with Firefox.
    Anyone able to tell me how to solve this problem.

Attached Files:

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

You do not need to run both SBIE and Restricted on internet facing apps.

Spyshelter Resticted Mode is a policy containment (so potential dangerous applications can't write to admin/system areas). It is like OA's run safer (run safer is limited user which is less restrictive than a restricted users) or AppGuard' admin space protection (Appguard also has protection for write access to user space)

With SBIE you redirect access of a virtualised application to the sandbox. Because SBIE redirects ALL access (also the data a restricted application is allowed to changer), it sort of makes restricted protection of the same application unnessecary. So when SBIE functions correctly the Restricted Protection of Spyshelter will never kick-in. With overlapping protection there is allways a change of conflict.

Some people figured out how to tun SBIE and Appguard (uses a simular protection as restricted mode), by allowing protected applications access to the internal sandbox of SBIE. Have you looked at the logs of SPyshelter (a tab which shows denied restricted access)?

When you are on 32 bits the Spyshelter free (without restricted mode) plus freebie (SBIE free or GeSWall free) to virtualise or restrict applications make an excellent combo.

Regards Kees

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  3. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Kees.
    A bit more info, I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.
    What I should have pointed out is that I also have my PDF reader run in a Sandbox, this starts in Sandboxie as a "Restricted App", ie: the same set up for the PDF reader as for Firefox - and runs without any problems at all. This is what confused me.

4. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Kees, if my browser is sandboxed, what should I run restricted?

I mean, I use both Sandboxie and SpyShelter - what's the optimal setup on W7 x64?

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Well SpyShelter has the option to auto allow all Microsoft or all signed software.

I allways set it to auto allow signed software (and set UAC on, but with automatic elevate). In this scenario IE9, Outlook, Live Mail, Windows Media Player could be auto allowed (same with my Office Programs). By restricting those programs (and for instance pdfreader, java), you capture them in a stronger than limited environment. This sort of corrects the 'hole' one puts in the defense by auto allowing signed software with Spyshelter.

Spyshelter can be made real quiet in this way and still protect the system and admin space.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

well said my friend;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.