SpyShelter 5.02

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Boyfriend, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

http://systemexplorer.net/filereviews.php?fid=210183

Blues7 as to your inquiry about what settings others are using. I have mine set to auto allow Microsoft, all others are ask.

2. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Thank you, wd. I appreciate the info (though, for now at least, I have uninstalled the program). :thumb:

3. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Thanks WhiteD, checked your link and it looks OK - 100% green.

Seems to be a part of the SS armoury. Caught me unawares, just came in out of the blue. Never expected SS to add things, I thought it was all included in the initial download package.

John

4. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I'd removed SpyShelter several days ago as I had decided that my current security was sufficient to prevent key/clipboard/screen loggers from being installed on my system and I didn't want to run two HIPS programs concurrently.

However, I decided I wanted to do a little testing with its logger protection so I reinstalled the free version last night (and again this morning) with the intention of disabling the system protection and leaving only the "logger" protection modules enabled.

Interestingly, even though the install was successful each time and none of my apps or services were blacklisted upon installation, my keyboard failed to work both times.

I checked the program for any blacklisted items and found none in either the logs or white/black lists. Uninstalled and later reinstalled with the same result.

I don't know if something dodgy was left behind the first time I had removed the program (using Revo with moderate setting) but this appears to be the end of the road for me with this program on my XP Pro SP3 system. I'll leave well enough alone at this juncture.

Just offered as a data point and caution to anyone contemplating using or reinstalling this program.

5. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

Has anyone else also noticed that even after unchecking the option "check for update at program start" under settings tab, sometimes SpyShelter still checks for updates at program starts?

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

didnt noticed that:D i will check to see

7. John Bull

Small extremely efficient and free programs like SS, of which there are a large variety, are not intended to defeat the skills of experienced hackers hell bent on blowing holes in them. They are intended to provide the 90% of ordinary worldwide users with a GOOD security service, either FREE or at a low cost that is more than adequate for the average PC keyboard thumper.

Of course a skillful trick cyclist can trip them up, even though it is still not easy to do so.

Nobody is saying that tiny programs like SS are our salvation against all evil. I doubt if the Pentagon relies totally on SS and the kind of mundane security software we ordinay sodbusters have to use. Although, even this may be over estimating their credibility since Gary McKinnon successfully hacked into 97 US military and NASA computers over a 13 month period with no problems.

So please appraise these run-of-the-mill programs produced for the John and Jane Doe`s of this world for what they are and give them a realistic opinion based on the market band width for which they are provided, without being over-critical or excessive nit-picking.

John

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it may be litle but strong program and if you use a layer you will be very protected for sure;)

9. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

question:
    i'm just trying this SS free,i can't open my bookmarks in IE8
    i have an error message about IEFrame.dll .how can this be fixed?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

find this in the black/white list area and allow it;)it may be blocked by SS:)

11. acuariano

i contact support but no get any response yet.
    jmonge,,you mean this is safe.?
    if so,why this is blocked..and
    will i be protected if i allow this.?

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ofcourse some times SS blocks legits stuff and so you have to allow it

13. acuariano

oh ok thanks

14. John Bull

jmonge, your comments are extremely practical and keep the thread on track.

None of our programs are perfect, they all have different faults. Any dedicated hacker can bust them all, but that is not the point. Every one of our poor-man`s programs do a magnificent job and it is up to each one of us to select those that suit our particular fancies best.

SS is a superb program that meets the requirements of ordinary users. We must all appreciate the market slot for which these kind of programs are provided and not to expect the same protection as some Government multi-billion dollar package of crap that even hobby-horse juvenile bed-sit hackers can bust wide open.

John

15. whitedragon551

A few days ago I got a license for KIS2011. Right after I installed it I noticed I couldnt Ctrl+Select items in any folder. At first I thought it was a folder permissions issue, but it wasnt. I thought it was an NVIDIA driver issue due to other related issues with NVIDIA, but it wasnt. I thought it may have been KIS, but I disabled it and it wasnt. Then I tested both Ctrl keys on my laptops keyboard and neither worked so I tested my external OCZ Alchemy Elixir and that also didnt work. No way are 4 different Ctrl keys bad. Then I disabled Spyshelter. Sure enough the Ctrl+Select came back.

Anyone have any idea on what settings within Spyshelter would prevent this? I dont have any programs in my black/white list that are blocked.

16. John Bull

NOW THAT WhiteD is VERY interesting and is a positive "downer" on SS. If this program really does cause that kind of problem, then my verdict is FORGET IT quick. I will have no hesitation to dump it providing the kind of problem you describe is the fault of SS and not a function of your particular machine, Windows version, SS settings or software selection.

John

17. John Bull

I would like all posters to note this.

After my initial euphoria and support for SS, I am beginning to have serious misgivings.

Earlier, I found that my PC kept sticking on "Not Responding". I assumed it was because I had KeyScrambler and SS both going together. I disabled KS.

For a while that cured the problem, but then it came back and I was hit with "Not Responding" again. I then disabled SS and enabled KS. Since then I have had no more trouble.

One thing I will not tolerate is a program that causes a "Not Responding" issue. My set worked fine before SS and is now working fine without it. So it looks highly likely that I will be dumping SS if one more trial causes any problems.

John

18. whitedragon551

My problem is a fluke. Its been working top notch for me up until KIS triggered this issue. I have SS working on it now. Ive been running SS for probably 2-3 months now and this is the second issue Ive had and neither issue is really that big of a deal.

19. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

I've been using SpyShelter Premium for about a week now and I really love it. Haven't had any issues and when I contacted support with a question that were very quick to respond.

20. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Fluke perhaps, but I wonder why, after I had uninstalled the "free" version, that when I tried two successive new installs it kept my keyboard from functioning both times.
    (Nothing was blacklisted either and it was right after the reboot upon installation each time.) I tried typing in various apps and nothing would show up. Luckily the mouse was still functioning so I could uninstall without much of a headache. Odd though, to say the least.

Certainly gives me concerns about what goes on with this program behind the scenes (regardless of settings).

Food for thought if nothing else.

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think that there is always room for improvement and spyshelter is day by day getting better and it is one of the few that supports 64 bits system at least the premium version;) it is very important to have this type of protection for our 64 bits systems:thumb:

22. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

ahh indeed.. spyshelter is a very powerful tool.. + clean image to fall back to you are good to go:argh:

23. whitedragon551

Like Ive done in the past Im working with SS to get them my system logs and get this fluke taken care of. Im sure just like usual they will test in house and push a critical update once its been fixed.

24. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Make SS fully trusted app on KIS. I meant do not monitor anything on app option. It work for me. SS is not perfect, but I really hope it will growth much more

25. RedDawn

RedDawn Registered Member

Interesting read, Didier Stevens' latest blog post.

“It Does No Harm…” or Does It?

Although he doesn't specifically mention SpyShelter, you can see from this thread HERE, that it's clearly what he's talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.