SpyShelter 5.02

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Boyfriend, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

May I just pose a question ?

All FW or other security program that "guard" against rogue programs
    like SS, ZA, OA and Comodo Defense+ do not seem to have the ability to identify intrusive behaviour. Unless the "guards" can determine malicious intent, then they serve no useful purpose whatsoever. If HIPS falls into this category, then likewise.

My conclusion is that if any of these program guards simply ASK the operator to ALLOW or DENY action, then it is ludicrous. 99% of operators do not have a clue what the suspect program is or what it is trying to do - they simply say YES to everything.

Rather defeats the object eh ? So all these program guard additives to our Firewalls etc. are a waste of time if they cannot detect right from wrong.

John

2. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

JB,

I agree with your conclusion. These app's are great for most people on this forum but I wouldn't use them on a computer that I share with non-technical users; SpyShelter included. I've tested it myself and was impressed with it but for non-technical users app's like AppGuard or Defensewall (DW has to be the simplest FW I've ever used BTW) are IMO more secure because they reduce user mistakes. On a machine of mine that isn't shared I wouldn't hesitate to use SS because it has the potential to block most attacks.

3. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Unfortunately many rogue programs are only malicious in intent and are benign from a traditional malware perspective.Only blacklisting can help in these cases,no HIPS or BB will be of much use.

Having said that,it doesn't follow that the technologies are entirely useless since a lot of malware is damaging to the system and can be blocked effectively with a clear warning (rootkits for example).

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

but with spyshelter is you for example put your broser in restricted mode it will denny any evil access,you can also include all your applications that uses the internet so you close all doors to malware even my destop and my documents folders can be restricted:thumb:

5. John Bull

Now I must say this well earned credit.

Whilst all the popular so-called system and program guards are adequately described in my earlier post as acting like Zombies in "learning" by obeying their Masters voice of almost always ALLOW or YES, Spyshelter has performed impeccably since I had it a few days ago.

SS has worked hard behind the scenes without asking me for any decisions. It has developed a long list of green ticked items and a large logfile - all on it`s own. No pop-ups, no nagging, no nothing except doing a fine security job.

Well done SS, pleased to have met you. Confidence ? You`ve got it.

John

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is a top notch program and it can get better if you dirty your hands under the hood;) to configure

7. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Spyshelter is really getting better.. I have been using this along with HMP on a laptop for 7 months with zero problem... HMP will find some cookies here and there sometimes thats it.. this two is a must have IMO:thumb:

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree:thumb:

9. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

This option is not available to the paid customers of x64!

Best regards,

KOR!

10. aladdin

In the x64 version the anti kernel mode logger module is greyed out, meaning it is off. But still I have the problems with ctrl and shift keys.

Kind regards,

KOR!

11. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

It is a temporary workaround. Did you try again after restarting the system?

There is back and forth e-mail communication between me and spyshelter support. In the last query they have asked me about my other security programs (I have also MSE 2 and Sandboxie 3.50 now).

12. aladdin

Hi SM1,

Thanks for a quick reply. I believe I didn't understand your above comment in regard to restarting the system?

Is your comment in regard to anti-kernel logger or certain keys not working?

Kind regards,

KOR!

P.S. I am paid user of Sandboxie and I believe in x64 the anti-kernel logger doesn't work and for this reason it is greyed out!

13. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Hi, sorry I mixed up with my setting. You are right. Restarting the system won't solve the issue in x64 system if there is inherent problem. Did you try submitting any error report to spyshelter? They may contact you and ask about your system configuration, security software installed etc. May be they can give you some other workaround.:)

14. aladdin

Hi SM1,

No I haven't contacted them yet! I couldn't get it to work with everything I have on my system. I had to reduce something, so I removed the firewall portion in Avast! Internet Security, and now it works.

As far as the shift and cntrl keys are concerned, I just turn off the SS temporarily, while I want to highlight something. It is not optimal but I can live with. They need to come up with some solution for this known bug!

Kind regards,

KOR!

15. John Bull

As a Wilders disciple I am aware that the brains of our community will discuss all the finer points of whether SS does this or that and any complex issues, plus of course comparisons with other programs.

That is what the Forum is for, but SS is performing so well for me that it is by far the best program I have ever experienced. And I have tried all the popular AV and AM programs - none of them can match SS in my book for getting on with the job and not pestering the butt off me with pop-ups and needing a YES or NO.

Who wants an auto-pilot that keeps asking the driver where to go ? Answer - nobody.

John

16. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

JB, why don't you share with us the settings you employ with SS (especially from the "Security" tab) if you don't mind.

17. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I am curious what extra security SpyShelter adds to your current setup:

18. John Bull

Hello Blues,

Is the panel below what you need ?

I am a greenhorn with SS, only had it a few days and my euphoria is running away with me. I expect you will make some useful comments and am very eager to see them.

Perhaps in my innocence I have not made the settings necessary for SS to operate properly. Perhaps I have not made any !

Thanks Blues
    John

SS-security panel.JPG

19. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

John, that is the panel I was referring to. I was wondering what action you had allowed for "certified applications" and whether you had "auto block" selected since it sounded like you had it on "set and forget".

I am just learning my way around the program myself and am trying to determine what settings others are using.

One thing I am concerned about though it may be just as a result of the dearth of info in the user manual, but can this program block or otherwise blacklist any essential services or processes (via the "auto" selections) which would prevent Windows from booting up and running properly?

(For example if it blacklisted something automatically which you failed to see and subsequently "allow". For example I've seen it blacklist explorer.exe and wmiprvse.exe)

Thanks for any info.

20. John Bull

Blues, I am like Little Red Riding Hood on this and am relying on the brains to tell me that my Granny is really the Big Bad Wolf in disguise.

I hope your questions and mine inspire some response from our more astute minded wizards. What you learn - I do also.
    Cheers
    John

21. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I've decided to go simplify and go back to the setup in my signature which uses the HIPS in Privatefirewall.

I think SpyShelter is a fine program but I prefer the way my system works and responds with my tried and true setup (and I have every confidence in its security).

I'll keep an eye on the thread to see how things progress.

22. John Bull

Strange.

My screen started freezing up. Sometimes after a few clicks on the net and others when all my programs had loaded and the desktop was showing. The mouse worked OK, but nothing responded. I had to crash the system on the power button.

This happened many times and I could not use the PC.

As a shot in the dark, next time I did manage to get onto the net, I disabled KeyScrambler. Since then I have not had a single freeze, everything is working normal.

Could be nothing to do with the problem, but so far so good.
    Does a KeyScrambler/Spyshelter conflict sound possible ?

John

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  23. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I'd say it might be "probable" rather than possible. But there are others here with much more insight into this than I have.

(If you recall, I brought up this combination in a post earlier and it was just this sort of issue I was getting at.)

24. John Bull

My ZA just picked up a new network program trying to connect to the Internet.

It was KAntiLogger belonging to Spyshelter and concerned Spyshelter.exe.

After reading about it from the info. referral and the net, I allowed it.
    What is it and is it a legitimate program of Spyshelter ? Did I do right in allowing access ?

Comments please.
    Thanks
    John

KAntilogger.JPG

25. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I just sent you a pm John, but I'd suggest checking the file name in google and possibly uploading it to virustotal if there is some question as to its legitimacy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.