Spyshelter 4.X releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guest, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Re: Spyshelter 4.18 released

These guys don't seem to sleep :D

:thumb:

3. guest

guest Guest

This is good news for us :)

Installer mode is very useful.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

any chance they will implement some sort of an internal whitelist? cuz the amount of popups is beyond rediculous wen i tryed it out... over a dozen popups for the same service.

5. guest

guest Guest

internal whitelist improved per version. You can send trusted app info[]spyshelter.com
    SS has installer mode now, it is more quiet than previous version

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

thats good, hopefully they will work on it a bit more as time goes on.

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Spyshelter is truly a hip HIPS. Each successive update demonstrates that it is getting ever more hippy.

What they need now, in order to become *The Hippiest HIPS*, is:

1- A "Run Safer" capability (like Online Armor has).

2- The ability to block (REALLY block) all outgoing connections that have not been specifically authorized by the user.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE - - - Item #2 above is a fail-safe in case a keylogger ever slips past Spyshelter -- NO security app is perfect, after all.

If a keylogger cannot connect out, it is powerless to steal information from the user.

Further, if the user is behind a NAT Router, he won't have a critical need for a software firewall. The router will protect incoming. Spyshelter will protect outgoing.

8. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

What you said right there is pretty cool to me. :D It makes sense that a keylogger/screenlogger/soundlogger, whatever, can't transmit its information if its connectivity is blocked. Has a software FW possibly been the best defense against logging this whole time? :rolleyes: :D

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: Spyshelter is really a great tool and with such frequent update I have no words to say...

10. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I just downloaded the new Free Release 4.18 from within my current Spyshelter Free Update Option. When I checked the file with Jotti the scanners F-Secure and Kaspersky detected Trojan.Win32.Buzus.eorf. When checked with Virus Total the scanner Kaspersky again detected the above trojan and the scanner Panda detected a Suspicious File. False positives? Your thoughts?

As always all replies will be appreciated and I would thank you in advance.

John

11. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Absolutely FP ...:)

12. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

True :cool:

13. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

If these results are correct and Panda is detecting it again I will report it to get fixed :)

Anyone have the Md5?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

A *good* firewall has been (& is) an excellent protection against undesired outgoing connections. Is it bullet proof? I hope so but .... o_O

15. jpcummins

I ended up deleting the SpyShelter 4.18 update. As soon as I installed this update my system started locking up. Only way I could turn it off was to hit the off button. Tried again, same results so I deleted SpyShelter. SpyShelter 4.17 was working fine until I updated it. I figure most likely there was a driver conflict. But, knowing no more than I do, I figure that I will wait until the next version and then try again as it seems to be a very good program. If, however, anyone else has experienced this and can tell me what I need to do I would appreciate hearing from them. Thanking you in advance.

John

16. mrgigabyte

mrgigabyte Registered Member

i wrote to support Wednesday because my system is locking up when i try to open quicken if i disable spyshelter pro or exit it then quicken opens with no problem and no lockup i was not having no problems with 4.17 it started to happening with 4.18 i got a email thursday from them and they ask me to try something but that did not help so then they send me a email that said Thanks for report we have some sucpicion so by tomorrow I'll send you some test version so like this forum said about their support i feel that their right on they are diff entry helping with my problem,so you should write to them too

17. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

My Spy Shelter 4.18 was also nabbed as suspicious by Panda Cloud...:rolleyes: :)

18. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Reporting it now :D

19. guest

guest Guest

4.19 (02/Jul/2010)

- System protection updates and fixes
    - Parent processes showing in alert window
    - Log file and log window extended
    - Fixed cleanup feature issue on some systems

20. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Thanks for the update...

They really never sleep...:)

21. guest

guest Guest

I am sure, you are true :)

22. jpcummins

mrgigabyte

I downloaded the 4.19 version and installed it today and it seems to be working. Apparently just a problem with the 4.18 version. Hopefully, you will find that it will now work for you also. But, Virus Total and Jotti scanners (1) Kaspersky, (2) Panda and I believe also now (3) F-Secure detect malware. But, from other forum members the detection must be FP's. I intend on running my own security programs later just for my own piece of mind.

John

23. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

As a couple of posters have said I also ran into trouble with the 4.18 build. My netbook system (XP Pro SP3 + VIPRE + Ad Muncher) ran into complete freeze everytime I tried to start Google Chrome 5.0 stable release. I had to power off the netbook directly with the power button beacuse of the freeze. So the next time I first closed SpyShelter then ran Chrome andd everything went fine! :D

Fortunately the 4.19 build seems to have fixed these freezes! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

24. guest

guest Guest

just say problem, SS developers will fix within 2-3 days

25. mrgigabyte

mrgigabyte Registered Member

jpcummins

thanks i did get the new version 4.19 earlier today and no problems at all at my end spyshelter did indeed email me back a few times and ask me to try new version and said i should not have any problems and this is some of the email from them We released 4.19 so fast mainly because of this critical issue.
    now thats called good support. i also think they are FP's also and my two machines are protected very good and my anti viruses avast pro and Avril pro and prevx are not flagging anything and mbam and super anti spyware are not flagging also
    have a great holiday everyone mrgigabyte

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.