SpybotSD and Ad-aware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by eyespy, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Some differences I noticed between  these 2 proggies....

SpybotSD picks up the now infamous BDE (brilliant digital entertainment)  while Ad-aware did not. Everything else seems to be on par with each other, except for the fact that SpybotSD also acts like a "mild" reg cleaner also, picking up on some "rogue entries" in the registry and sys. files !!
    I like'm both !!

bill ;)

2. monarols

monarols Registered Member

Yes, I think that Spy Bot has the edge, but I also like and trust Adaware too. When I first ran spybot, it too picked up rogue  entries, but i'm a bit reluctant to delete them.

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Hi, everyone!

Both AA and SBS&D have features included within them that allow you 'undo' any changes you make to your registry by allowing either program to remove things.

It's an absolute must (with either program) to know how to be able to reverse changes you've allowed to be made.

What I get to see a lot of is, everytime either program comes out with a new reflist or a program update, people just leap all over whatever comes up and delete it manually (without ever knowing what the indicated 'hit' is about) or they already have either program itself set up to automatically 'remove' or 'fix' whatever it finds.

This is bad pratice - no ones' computer has ever melted down due to waiting a few days after a new reflist comes out before deleting whatever's found by one.

That gives you and eveyone else a chance to see if the newest reflist/update is any good, whether it causes problems to other peoples' computers, or simply gives you time to see if whatever's there is something you need for something you use.

Always use the safety precautions built into these type programs - and give new updates/reflists a couple of days in the wild so you can evaluate what's happening before appyling them to your computer. Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.