spybot's updates

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by iceni60, Dec 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i have two questions regarding Spybot's upates -

when i just checked for updates for Spybot, there were the betas, which im not quite advanced enough to use, i only ever installed the 1.3.1 beta, which i still have. but, theres also a language update, which isnt a beta. however, when i right-click it and pick important updates it dosent choose it.
    what is it? some kind of German translation for the help files? and should i install it? thanks :)

and secondly, as i have the 1.3.1 beta update, which im fairly sure only fixed the DSO Expliot problem, should i uninstall it and install the 1.3.1TX update? thanks :)

Attached Files:

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Ice, ;)

You can just select them by clicking on the appropriate updates you want.

Actually the TX version was never meant to be released ... it was only for their internal testing (and has several bugs) ... So stay with 1.3.1 unless you want to install 1.4.1b. ;) I'll find the info on TX and supply the link in a moment.

If you don't wish to see the beta updates ... select Settings --> Settings --> Then under "Web Update" unselect -> Display available Beta updates.

HTH. ;)

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2004
  3. dog

dog Guest

Here's the TX info.

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=24284

Steve

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Hello, Steve :)

thanks for finding the information Dog *puppy* . at first i thought you were confusing an internel testing update which was released by mistake at about the same time as TX. obviously, you're right, so sorry for doubting you :oops:

thanks, that's actually what i have always done, this is the first time i did the right-click thing, so because it didnt show as an important update it just got me wondering what it might be, as it appears to be not so important. any ideas what it could be updating?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  5. dog

dog Guest

Sorry Ice, ;)

I really don't know ... there's no mention of it in the help files. It could be ... to select just regular DB updates ... and regular program updates, ignoring other updates, like help files, skins, betas, language. But like I said, I'm not sure ... Although that would be my best guess.

Steve

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

yes, its good to know this, but i like to see the betas, i just dont normally select them, i like to know about them, incase they release another important one like the 1.3.1 update, which id probably install :) thanks though for your help with it. as i know you know most times information like that would be new and helpful for me :cool:

7. dog

dog Guest

You're turning into a little PC wizard ... don't sell yourself short. I think you'd do fine with the Spybot betas. The only real concern with them is the potential for F/P's, you have to be dilligent and investigate all (questionable or not) findings. But that is reasonably true with all scanning type programs, beta's or not.

Steve

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Steve. that means alot to me :) .

thats really what puts me off though- having to check for the F/Ps. than theres the real chance i may get it wrong :( on that subject, i need to start a new thread on Spybot's findings

and secondly, seeing as ive only had a PC for 9 months, and i read through alot of what advanced/power-users have written here; plus, recently ive read alot of tutorials; i probably have learned about as much as i could have in the time ive had to learn, but, i like to think of myself as a newbie - that way it makes me want to try extra hard to catch up with experienced users. i want to be an expert with networks and programming. still, i know, a long, long way to go with those :D :(

the other day i picked up a book about the basics of windows and there were too many basic principles i didnt know about :mad: . then i had alook at a more advanced book and i could understand more of what was written - rootkits, network protocols etc. so theres still big chucks of the basics i need to get under my belt, before i can seriously begin to more on to advanced tutorials.

any way thanks for the kind words, i'll hopefully get there at some time :cool:

9. dog

dog Guest

Your more than Welcome Ice. ;) You've earned it, I was meerly pointing out a fact. Only 9 months with a PC :eek: ... Well you've certainly learnt a heck of alot. If titling yourself a newbie, inspires/motivates ... continue on my friend. I hope all the knowledge you seek, will be yours. But remember even an experts expert, never stops learning, there is always something new or something changing, it's the nature of the beast. Dealing with F/P's is a good learning experience too ... and there's lots of help to be found around, especially here at home.

I admire your spirit and enthusiasms, Ice. ;) I wish you all the sucess in your quest for knowledge. Continue on. [​IMG] ;)

Your Friend, :)

Steve

10. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

i did mine with the 1.3 then the TX version and just now got the beta 1.4 and all is working fine so far.

11. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Tell you what Ice, I live just for the day... :D....Beta Shmeta.....I've D/Ld all the Spybot 'Noobits' as they've appeared....no bolts of lightning...nothing....and lived to tell the tale... :D :D.....I'm really just a repressed 'High-Wire Walker' were this stuff is concerned but I know I have the distinct advantage of having that all encompassing 'Safety-net' to fall into called [GLOW="Red"]WILDERS[/GLOW] :D :D :D....Sooooo whats the worst that can happen..... :D :D :p

Just remember, a Download-a-Day helps you work, rest and keeps you on your toes :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cochise, :cool:

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

the main reason im abit unsure is that i have turned off system restore. well, i just updated the english language update, and im going to wait about one week then i'll download the latest ßeta. wwwhhhey hhhhay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.