Spybot Won't Upgrade

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Debbie, Dec 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debbie

Debbie Guest

I can't download the newer version from www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html (recommended when i immunized in spybot). I get the Delete File Failed: Code 5 Access is Denied error message.
    Any thoughts on how I can fix this?! :doubt:

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Debbie,

Take a look at the first tip in this thread, it explains this error:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12266

Basically this happens when someone has an older version installed and it locks up when they try to upgrade it. What you need to do is download the new version of SpywareBlaster, the new install kit and save it to your disk. Then reboot your system. Don't run SpywareBlaster itself after rebooting, just run the newly downloaded install kit you saved on disk above.

"Error Code 5" means SpywareBlaster has a file locked and it can't upgrade without first rebooting the system.

3. Debbie

Debbie Guest

You're the best! Thank you!!
    Merry Christmas!

4. debbie

debbie Guest

YIKES! i did what you said, it won't install.

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi debbie,

Does it give you a error message?

Regards,

Pieter

6. Debbie

Debbie Guest

Yes, I got the same error message as the first time ~ :doubt:

7. LowWaterMark

How exactly are you doing this?

Have you downloaded the new SpywareBlaster installer on to your disk before rebooting. Then, right after rebooting, don't run SpywareBlaster itself, just run that new installer... The installer program name is: spywareblastersetup.exe

8. LowWaterMark

Also note that Javacool recommends if you can't get it working as I described, to try installing by rebooting your PC into Safe mode.

9. Debbie

Debbie Guest

well, it never gets me past the install 59%, then the error message strikes!!! i still rebooted, found the file, clicked to install and the identical thing happens.

10. LowWaterMark

Sounds like you'll need to try installing in safe mode then. Of course, there might be some other strange problem locking some file needed, perhaps even corruption somewhere. Can you try running spywareblastersetup.exe is safe mode?

11. debbie

debbie Guest

i'm not that savvy! i'll try! i know there is something corrupted, because when i rebooted a corruption message did appear.

12. LowWaterMark

Safe mode is not actually that hard... It's just a matter of hitting a button right when the system is booting up. Take a look at this page about how to do it:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406

When you finish and reboot again, your system comes back up normally. It's worth a try even if it doesn't work. At least we'll know that and can take a look for a more serious problem.

13. debbie

debbie Guest

okay, will do this, standy-by! (first i have to get coffee!)

14. LowWaterMark

Ah, coffee - yeah me too! ;)

Don't worry, and don't get frustrated. From time to time things like this happen with PCs. We'll be here to help and should be able to get you fixed up. :)

We may even be able to help with other errors, if that corruption message you are talking about doesn't have anything to do with SpywareBlaster, we might be able to help with it if you tell us what you're seeing exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.