Spybot with SUper AV ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aliennode, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aliennode

aliennode Registered Member

I have Avast anti virus with Superantispyware.

I also have Windows Defender running too I think on Vista Home Premium.

Should I add Spybot to this armoury?
    IF so how do I use both together without getting problems?
    Is ther eanything else I should install ??
    Thanks

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

SandboxIE would be a good option to add to what you already have, and runs lighter than another scanner. Just my 2c...

3. aliennode

OK thanks and should I leave Vista firewall or get another one?
    Also should I install the firewall first before Sandboxie?

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Vista FW works well, and SandboxIE can be installed irregardless of your FW-choice.

5. aliennode

Man its really slowed my computer down since installing. My computer was blisteringly fast before installation.

6. Ximi

Ximi Infrequent Poster

yes i think you should add Spybot , and run the scan sometimes when you feel that you are infected or when you suspect.

7. aliennode

So I select "delete contents" before computer shut downo_O
    What happens if I do not the next time I boot up?
    Also what is the email reader?

8. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Defiantly not . OP doesn't need it with what he already has installed.

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I'm inclined to think that you should read up a bit on sandboxie (which isn't a scanner) before using it too much. If you aren't acquainted with the idea of virtualisation, it is quite a different concept. (Though a good one, and popular here.)

Google or search the forum here on how best to configure Vista's firewall.
    I'd be a little surprised if Spybot can detect/remove anything that SAS can't, but there may be the odd thing. Personally I wouldn't recommend you install it, although it does have a few useful tools.
    Actually, I think, for now anyway, you should be pretty good with what you've got. Maybe consider an easy to use behaviour blocker, like Threatfire.
    Do a bit of reading about the different applications, what they can do for you etc.

11. aliennode

Right so should I also install Vista Firewall control for outbound?
    And should I install separate Malware ?? IF so which is good Malware software?
    And should I turn Windows Defender off??

12. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Some things you should be aware of before I answer.
    -I'm intermediate, not very expert in these questions, but know enough.
    -I don't use Vista, so am not intimate with the firewall.
    -I can only guess at your experience level, from the information in your posts.

That said, yes, I'd configure a Vista outbound control, if you know (or can find out) how to do that. You may need to learn definitions (grammatical) for the terminologies used (Rule sets, HTTP, Trusted Application etc) when setting it up. A poorly set up firewall can be rather unsafe, should you get malware.

You already have Superantispyware. It's considered very good. Either as a demand scanner (run a scan every week or two, or when/if "symptoms" occur*) or as a resident (paid realtime) application. There are others I'd term good. MBAM is one of them. Asquared is one. AdAware, I don't think so.

Up to you if you turn off/disable Windows Defender. I haven't ever used it, probably won't, either, it has a fairly average reputation. You may be able to completely disable or uninstall it. If you have another resident antispyware/antimalware, I'd definitely turn it off.

Just remember, anything found during a scan is possibly worth further investigation prior to quarantining. Occasionally a valid file is flagged as malware (a FP) and should not be deleted/quarantined. Some scanners have a higher incidence of this than others. Often a look at the properties of the file concerned can be informative, or "Googling" the file name.

You had NOD32 prior to Avast. Why the change? (Not that there is anything wrong with Avast. I use it. Very happily.)

13. aliennode

I have Avast anti virus with Superantispyware and Sandboxie
    I just installed Windows firewall control and it significantly slowed down my laptop so I uninstalled it as I was worried that people I am connected to on a home network can see files on my computer as I had to enable network control
    Now I am worried tha Windows Defender is not active or setup properly after installing uninstalling the tird party firewall control
    SO how can I check everyhing is working tgether OK ??
    Thanks

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Your system security set up is very similar to my Compaq XP machine set up. I feel safe and I have no problems. I removed Spybot it was starting to update slow and seemed to redundant with SAS.

15. aliennode

Can someone give input on this please

16. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Check the Security Center. iirc, in Vista it does monitor antispyware (Defender in this case).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.