spybot - setup files are corrupted

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by thoughtfulcraig, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thoughtfulcraig

thoughtfulcraig Registered Member

hello there,
    I have recently had need to uninstall spybot s&D (so I could reinstall it and talk someone else through the installation) However when I came to reinstall the programme it said 'setup files are corrupted please obtain another copy of this programme'. Which I did, from every mirror on the spybot site, from cnet.com and from various links on the official spybot forum. Yet every copy says the same thing. Now the person I was talking through the installation (on the other end of the phone) downloaded the file - noprobs from the samelocation as me!!! Which makes me think its my PC, Im running Windows ME have ran adaware and have Javacools spyware blaster installed.

Can anyone Help!!

thoughtfulcraig

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

There can be lots of causes to this but a common one is that there is a browser caching issue on the troubled system. The first recommendation would be to close all browser windows then completely clear the browser cache. Open a new browser window and go after a fresh copy of the install kit. We have a direct download link on one of our local servers mentioned in the middle of this post in the "Spybot S&D" section:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

Another possibility is trying to use a download manager or download accelerator. If you were trying to use one on these downloads, try getting it without those.

3. thoughtfulcraig

Hello there,
    Deleted cache, downloaded from link, and still the same message. I dont have any download managers installed.

Dont forget, I already had a copy on my PC, which worked (as I installed Spybot with it) However, I uninstalled the prog, and then when trying to reinstall, the message appears. So the perfectly fine and working copy that Ive had for weeks didnt work, as well as all the downloaded ones. I havent changed any system setttings or changed anything!!, so am at a bit of a loss... :'(

4. thoughtfulcraig

I just had a programme called aupdate im my task manager. Is gone now, but could this cause the prob?

thanks

thoughtfulcraig

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

aupdate.exe is related to agnitum firewall or even tauscan AT.

try this: go to prompt (start - accessories) and type in:

chkdsk /f /r and choose yes.

reboot and let your system scan for issues on your os.

this has helped me numerous times with a lot of stuff.

bye

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.