Spybot S&D

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MICRO, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Has anyone come across this before ? or can someone check their XP to see if this is not a F/P ?

I ran several of the well respected 'Anti' Apps., none came up with anything.

Then I ran Spybot S&D and it came up Red with,

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SecurityCenter\Anti-Virus Override (is not) Dword 0

I clicked to fix, which it did, from 1 back to 0 - I have 98se on my other computer so can't check if XP normally has that Dword at 0 or 1 - It sounds as though when it's 1 it means the AV Override is enabled.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It COULD be a friendly warning that either you or someone else disabled one of the notifications from Security Center, in this case possibly that Security Center was told NOT to report Antivirus was missing (it will falsely report an AV missing if it does not recognize the app installed). Being back to "1" likely means the notification was changed back to enabled.

3. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks Dw. - You are quite correct, I didn't put two and two together re. what would occur on XP by my opting to handle the AV myself via
    'Recommendations' in the Sec. centre.

4. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

1 means that the security center won't notify you if it cannot recognize the AV or it's disabled.
    0 is the default value.

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Off-topic posts recommending other products removed. And as the topic starter got their answer, this thread is now closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.