Spybot S&D Recommends SpywareBlaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by diverdown48, Jul 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diverdown48

diverdown48 Registered Member

Spybot Search and Destroy recommends using SpywareBlaster to control ActiveX Controls.

I am running Windows98 with Spybot S&D, McAfee and AVG AntiVirus, the firewall is Sygate Personal Firewall.

Do I need to control ActiveX and if so, why.

Obviously I am not a computer Whiz or Geek, just a Wannabee.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

If you are using Internet Explorer as your main web browser, and have not drastically tightened its security levels, then yes, Spybot's Immunize function used in combination with SpywareBlaster is a very good idea!

Why? Well, the most dangerous feature in Internet Explorer is it's almost completely unrestricted allowance of ActiveX components. ActiveX components are programs, fully functional and capable programs that run automatically on your system as they are downloaded from the websites you visit - if IE is running with its default (normal) security settings.

These programs basically have permission to do anything they want on a Windows PC, if allowed in by IE, the same as if you downloaded a virus or trojan horse program and ran it yourself.

The ActiveX blocks/immunize provided by SpywareBlaster and Spybot prevent a large number of known malicious, spyware related ActiveX controls from running (or even downloading at all).

3. diverdown48

diverdown48 Registered Member

Hey Thanks LowWaterMark for the fast reply
    Cool name by the way.
    Yes I am using Internet Exployer set to default levels
    Would it be a good idea to raise the security levels?

I am going to download the SpywareBlaster as you suggested.
    Thanks again

Vie con Dios

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, there in lies the big question. ;)

The natural answer is "absolutely yes". Tightening up Internet Explorer's default security levels is a very good idea. But, be aware that there are trade-offs. You will likely start seeing a lot of Internet Explorer alert windows like this one:

[​IMG]

Stupid IE doesn't let you disable that particular message. (Personally, I think it's Microsoft's annoying way to try to force people to leave ActiveX enabled.)

Also, see this thread regarding some specific IE settings that SpywareBlaster will ask you about once you install and run it the first time, if they are set to low:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=41906

This image (below) is what the thread above is talking about. You'll see the alert in the lower right corner of the main SB screen if any of those settings are too low on your system.

Attached Files:

5. wyrmrider

wyrmrider Registered Member

Hi newbie here so dbl check what I'm going to suggest
    you show two av programs
    you can only have ONE with on line or active scan "installed"
    look for two icons in your taskbar and set your options
    check your startup programs you can use spybots advanced mode to do this
    set up the second as an "on demand" scanner run from START or desktop
    since you already have sbs@d check immunize regularly and especially after updates of any of these kinds of programs and reimmunize as necessary

are you using "advanced mode"??
    if not go to the sbs@d forum and check them out
    especially resident and HOSTS
    Immunize- HOSTS and ie-spyads help keep baddies from "phoneing home"
    now back to spywareblaster
    javacool also has spywareguard
    spyware guard uses heuristics instead of a constantly updated list
    check it out
    also google ie-spyads and add it to your restricted Zone- sites in ie "PRIVACY"
    follow the instructions exactly but I would "uninstall" first even the first time
    then dbl check spywareblaster and spybot immunize

enough for now
    ps this machine is win98SE and these programs all work together OK-not perfect- but OK but it takes a layered aproach to stay ahead of the baddies

the ones to this machine are win2Kserversp4 and winxpSP1 and
    drdos7 linux next?

wyrmrider

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.