spybot problem

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sarment, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarment

sarment Registered Member

For the last while I have a problem with spybot. This is what happens. (I have emailed spybot, but have received no reply.)

Click "search & destroy"
    Comes up peculiar, with scanning window on left and "no information available" on the right.
    Run "Check for problems"
    On the bottom bar I see (in this order)
    running bot check (32/35 internet explorer S-1-5-20
    running bot check (32/35 internet explorer "name" bookmark
    running useage-tracking check (32/35 internet explorer S-1-5-20 book
    25 problems found

but....
    The scanning screen says:
    Congratulations
    No immediate threats were found
    + cache 1 entries
    + common dialogs 1 entries
    + cookie 1 entries
    + log 22 entries

I have NOT removed those entries and I have NOT uninstalled and reinstalled spybot. (I did run trojan hunter and ad-aware and found nothing.)

Does anyone know anything?

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Sarment, ;)

It looks like you may only have usage-tracks selected for the spyware scan ... (See the ScreenShot below) and make sure you have all available checks (selected) under the file sets Tab.

Those Usage Tracks aren't spyware ... but are a privacy issue ... hence the reason for removal.

HTH;

dog - *puppy*

Attached Files:

3. dog

dog Guest

I'm not sure what exactly you mean regarding your windows/panes question.

If what you're seeing looks like this attachment ... 1= The Results Pane ... 2= The Info Pane ... Info will be displayed about the highlighted Spyware if any, in this pane. 3= Will toggle the right pane open and closed.

HTH,

dog - *puppy*

Attached Files:

4. sarment

Thanks!

1- My screen does NOT look like your screen shot.
    On my search and destroy screen there is no "file sets" tab. Do I have a different version?

2- I did however find "file sets" under "settings" in the left menu. Here only the main headings (spybot & useage tracks) were checked. I have never been here and checked or unchecked anything. After checking all the boxes, a scan did find a Kazaa thing. (Which I removed.) Do you know if this Kazaa thing could have done this to spybot (changed these settings)?

3- Should all those tracking things be removed also? (I never saw these come up before, so probably those boxes weren't checked to begin with.)

Again, thanks!

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Do you have version 1.3 installed or are you still using an older version?
    That could be the problem.

6. dog

dog Guest

The Version I'm using is a Beta 1.4.2B ... Your Version should be 1.3

Before you delete the Usage Tracks ... If there are Cookies you wish to keep, Under Settings Select Ignore Cookies ... And check the ones you would like to retain, if any. (Screenshot) All the others are absolutlely safe to delete, they're mostly MRU = Most Recently Used Lists etc.

KaZaa is Spyware ... but I definitely don't think it's crossed over to the realm of Malware ... I don't know what might have changed your settings ... but I'm confident it wasn't that. (Note: If you use KaZaa ... deleting these Spyware Files will make it inoperable) ... There are much safer alternatives out there ... I will provide you a list/link of safer ones should you wish.

HTH,

Steve

Attached Files:

7. sarment

1- Before, my results pane was NOT there. Now it is.

2- Something unchecked those boxes on more than one computer in my house. And it wasn't me.

3- You're right. I have 1.3

4- Regarding useage tracks--
    If I check the first box only, I have 24 items come back (and you say I can delete these?) Do they derver no purpose other than tracking me?
    If I check the second box too, I have 107 items come back, many of the MS associated. Can I delete these too or are some of them needed?

5- How do you insert a screen shot?

8. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Where can the beta version be downloaded? the official website?

Jimbob

9. dog

dog Guest

Weird things happen ... it's hard to say what may have happened.

To Post a screenshot ... First have the Application (the subject of the screenshot) as the active window. Then Press "ALT" + "Print Screen" then open MS paint or any Photo Editor , Select Open New, then Press "Ctrl" + "V" to Paste from the Clipboard ... Save the File as a JPEG/JPG ... The File Must be under 100KB to Upload it. To Upload it with your post ... Under the Submit Button in the Next Pane ... You will see a Manage Attachments Button ... Select that the Browse Button and Nav. it where you saved the file ... Final Select Upload.

Most of those usage tracks are just lists of files you have recently opened ... it's a standard PC thing ... there only local files ... but why leave tracks of way you've been doing ... for the next person who uses that PC ... (Type Thing) ... They'll be safe to delete. ;)

HTH,

Steve

I ran a scan of My PC as an example, if that helps ... Here's the screenshot

Attached Files:

10. dog

dog Guest

Just to add to the above ... don't worry to much about Spybot deleting something it should not have ... Simply use the Recovery Tool (ScreenShot) to recover ... I have never had to utilize to use it ... and if the need should arise it would be due to a Spyware False Positive and not from a Usage Track. ;) With the extensive Beta Testing of Database Release, they are weeded out long before the Public Issue ... False Positives are very very rare with Spybot. ;)

Steve

Attached Files:

11. dog

dog Guest

Hi JB,

Check your PM's ...

Steve

12. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Thanks Dog, had to change some settings before i could get it to display the file sets on the scan window.

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.